Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
More information than anyone wants or needs!!

Yvonne

davidningre

5 Year Member
Danny is right. I am from Singapore but I am a she not he. :)

Anyway, many many thanks to all of you for the help.

I will try my best to get a bigger tank for them as outdoor is really not an alternativ for now.

Let me see how I can give them a better home and I will update here with new pictures and hopefully happier/healthier-looking David and Ingre. :)

emysemys said:
Hi Davidningre:

You won't have to separate them if you can find a big enough container for them. Do they sell those plastic wading pools in Singapore (And Maggie: I was also wondering how he knew davidningre is from Singapore)? Or a horse water trough? Something larger than a 50 gallon aquarium. If they have enough room, there probably won't be anymore violence.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne, I may find a bigger tank for them and if they still fights then I will have to separate them for good if I hope it will not come to that. It really could be the space(didn't occur to me then but it all make sense now),cuz they never used to fight(I heard). So it could be they both grown too big for comfort.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Are you able to get Rubbermaid type storage tubs over there? Like this?

gHKqOqIqxz-RQVNoaco0ur0i0GGz77Fy.jpg

If you can, they are usually quite inexpensive. You could get two tubs, and a peice of cork bark for each to allow the turtles to get out of the water.

This is cork bark. It floats and makes a decent dock.

482988860_f1215e1350.jpg

You can buy it here

http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=13332&id=Cork-312M

Or, use the idea of the plastic flower pot with the rock on top, that works too.

The water depth should be no less than 1 1/2 times the width of the turtle. That way if they get flipped over underwater, they can right themselves. Otherwise, they will drown.

With the tail injury, the turtle needs to be dry docked for about 23 hours a day (that means kept in a dry, warm environment) You should apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the area, and keep it clean and dry until new flesh forms. You have to keep the turtle warm. Give him a good warm (NOT HOT) soak once a day in very clean water to provide moisture and keep him from dehydrating. Make sure the water and container are clean clean clean! Otherwise there is a big risk of bacterial infection. It is okay to place some damp paper towels in with the turtle, but make sure to change it if it gets soiled.

Feed the turtle while it is in the water.

You have already gotten some great advice, good luck!

Kristina

davidningre

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Are you able to get Rubbermaid type storage tubs over there? Like this?

gHKqOqIqxz-RQVNoaco0ur0i0GGz77Fy.jpg

If you can, they are usually quite inexpensive. You could get two tubs, and a peice of cork bark for each to allow the turtles to get out of the water.

This is cork bark. It floats and makes a decent dock.

482988860_f1215e1350.jpg

You can buy it here

http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=13332&id=Cork-312M

Or, use the idea of the plastic flower pot with the rock on top, that works too.

The water depth should be no less than 1 1/2 times the width of the turtle. That way if they get flipped over underwater, they can right themselves. Otherwise, they will drown.

With the tail injury, the turtle needs to be dry docked for about 23 hours a day (that means kept in a dry, warm environment) You should apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the area, and keep it clean and dry until new flesh forms. You have to keep the turtle warm. Give him a good warm (NOT HOT) soak once a day in very clean water to provide moisture and keep him from dehydrating. Make sure the water and container are clean clean clean! Otherwise there is a big risk of bacterial infection. It is okay to place some damp paper towels in with the turtle, but make sure to change it if it gets soiled.

Feed the turtle while it is in the water.

You have already gotten some great advice, good luck!

Kristina

Hi Kristina
I got a clear plastic one from Ikea. Its pretty huge. Around a metre. Hopefully, they will not attempt to fight again. :)

Also, I have visited the site you give but they do not provide much info. Some questions on how it works... Basically you just leave the cork bark in the container and the turlte will climb up on its own? Can it support the weight of the turtle. My turtle is around 8 inches long and pretty heavy.

Thanks for the water level advice. They ahve always been on shallow water, I was just worried they might drown. Now I know how to gauge it.

Thanks!

Just realised they do not ship outside USA and Canada. :(

Guess I will have to look for alternatives at the local pets store.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, you just place the cork bark in the tank and they climp on it on their own. It can hold the weight of your two just fine, LOTS of people use it.

If you can't find the cork bark, don't sweat it, just try the flower pot with the rock :) Or a turtle dock from the pet store, but that costs more.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.