My tortoise is making a soft Popping sound after a breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophiasmom

5 Year Member
Hi..I am new to this..I just joined a few minutes ago..
I have a 4 year old sulcata tortoise..Her name is Sophia..given to her by a little girl that was visiting.
Anyway..she just started, or I just noticed she has a soft pop after she takes a breath in. Is this the start of a respiratory infection? She had one years ago and I had an injection given to her and she got over it. She is just coming out of her winterized room and going out side to enjoy the sun and warm temps..I don't want to let it go and end up with her really sick..
Could it be something else..she always has a stuffy nose..she is such a chow hound that she always sticks her head into her food so far that I am not surprised by the stuffy nose. Tonite after she ate she seemed even more stuffy and I could hear the pop.
Also she is 30 lbs. how would they give her a shot with those massive legs.
:D
Thank you so much for reading this...I would appreciate any help you can give me...Funny how you can get so attached to these critters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There should not be noises while breathing. It is most likely due to a respiratory infection. This is most often caused by temps being too low. How do you heat her during the winter and at night? Where do you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.