My tortoise is sleeping a lot and not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie Robertson

5 Year Member
I have recently changed to a tortoise table from a vivarium and my tortoise Tyrion is sleeping a lot and not eating she has lost a bit of weight, I have to wake her up and bath her she can sometimes be active and eat after that but majority of the time she hides and sleeps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Natalie:

It might just be that the tortoise is afraid. He's been taken out of his territory and plunked down in a new one. He doesn't know what to expect. You may just have to give him some time.

However, nine times out of ten when someone says their tortoise sleeps all the time, it's because the temperature isn't right..too hot or (as is usual) not hot enough.

Double check the temperatures all over the floor of the tort table and make sure he's warm enough.

Natalie Robertson

5 Year Member
I have checked only a certain small area of the table is hitting the right temp the rest of the table is quite cold will this case a problem?

Thanks Yvonne

Hybrid

5 Year Member
I am very much agreeing with Yvonne. I do have exactly the same problem as yours, and after purchasing and setting new basking light, my little fella now been quite active compared to previous setting.

Hope yours will be better soon!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the forum.

What are your temperatures?

The only time your tort should be in cool or cold temperature is at night when temps can drop into the 50's or 60's. During the day, your basking spot should be 95 to 100 degrees; and the lower temperature for the cool end should be around 75.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.