My Tortoise is Still Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana USA
Hello;

I got my girl on October 4th, about ten weeks ago.

As some of you know, my first tort did not thrive during my care. He is out in the flower bed and I think of him often.

I did not measure her shell, yesterday. But I did weigh her and she has put on the grams. About 2.5 ounces.

It took her about 8 weeks to settle in and begin eating with enthusiasm. She still wants her space while eating. If I hoover she will stop. She still hasn't shown any interest in greens but eats the muzuri.

If she keeps up the enthusiasm I might try introducing some greens to her food rock.

I am afraid of jinxing it but I don't think I am killing this one!

Thanks everyone for all of your information and kindness.

I really need to give her a name..

Sally and the Nameless one...

I meant she weighs 2.5 ounces the last time I weighed her she was 52 grams...now she is 70 grams. Doh, if she gained 2.5 ounces I would be stunned... She is a yearling..

Sally

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sure you didn't kill the other one. Some just don't do well. A varied diet is important. Try smearing finely chopped greens with Mazuri. She/he will have to eat the greens if he/she wants the Mazuri.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
I was and am still worried she might pull ' a Sally ' :) and not eat till she is half starved.

Yes, I am in Montana. It is 12 outside right now. Even in high summer the nighttime temperatures only give us 90 days frost free. It drops into the 50s.

I would take my box turtle out on sunny days when I felt warm enough...

One day my husband and son and I took the box turtle out into the East Yard where we all sat in the sunshine. Every few minutes one of us would get up, walk to the turtle and give her a 180 turn.

My son went inside. My husband and I got distracted.

The hunt and panic was on. We actually beat the bushes and peered into the tall grass that afternoon. We gave up and worried how long it would be before a skunk, bear, raccoon or weather got her.

We walked back to the house. I was almost at the top of the ramp and we saw her. She had gone a considerable distance and was looking at our front door. Someday I will tell the story of how she caught a bird and ate part of it before we could rescue it.

Anyway, back to my girl.. I am not hibernating her. I am too unsure of myself.

She is active but not really social. She used to spend a lot of time dug in but after I put some real and fake plants in the enclosure she began digging less. Now, she naps under the eaves of plant life.

I keep two dry erase boards over the enclosure to keep it warm. 74 ish at the cold end and 95 ish at the warm end right under the basking light. I also have a freshly bought UV light on her during daytime hours.

When it does get safely warm I will take her out to sit in the sunshine with me. For now, though, it is too cold for this pasty white Montana woman!

The first tortoise I got in July was a hatchling Ibera and I am sure she got softer by the day. She would eat greens but really failed to thrive. I put her or him in for a soak one morning. He yawned twice and died right there on the spot. The whole thing made me feel a mix of despair and determination.

Thanks for your help and friendly comments.

Sally

Also, I turn the lights and heat off at night letting the temperature drop as low as 60.

Sally

Haraga

5 Year Member
When they are babies do they sleep most of the time?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using TortForum mobile app

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Haraga said:
When they are babies do they sleep most of the time?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using TortForum mobile app

HI Haraga

You might consider starting a new thread with your question in it. To give you the super simple answer I would say Yes. As hatchlings they survive in the wild by being very still and quiet for long periods of time. However that can also be a sign of issues related to the temperature, diet, lighting etc etc. The best thing to do is check everything you are doing. Include in your question the age and species you have and the behavior you are concerned about. Write it all down and post that information for us. That will give you the quickest and most accurate answer to your question.

Sally Franklin Christine
Im so glad this baby is doing well for you!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
I'm sure you didn't kill the other one. Some just don't do well. A varied diet is important. Try smearing finely chopped greens with Mazuri. She/he will have to eat the greens if he/she wants the Mazuri.

Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.