My tortoise is trying to hibernate and is not eating do I hibernate him for the first time in

jayde

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
My tortoise is a large male russian tortoise I believe around 8-10 years he has never hibernated before but tries too. It's January in the UK so is freezing outside. His enclosure is a large tortoise box with a UV lamp. However is is constantly burying himself or hiding in thedark box part of the enclosure away from the light. I haven't seen him eat in a couple of weeks and has had a reduced appetite for couple of months. Do I hibernate him or keep him awake? I've read all the info on hibernation and would use the refrigerator method however I feel as though it may be too late into the winter to start now ? Please help

jayde

Manchester
I have gave him warm baths over the last few daysd and always put fresh food out for him. He eats really well in the summer as he lives outside in the garden. I don't feel as though I should hibernate him as it's already late into the winter but I feel bad as he naturally is trying too

Bee62

Germany
I have gave him warm baths over the last few daysd and always put fresh food out for him. He eats really well in the summer as he lives outside in the garden. I don't feel as though I should hibernate him as it's already late into the winter but I feel bad as he naturally is trying too
I would not hibernate him because it is too late in winter as you have already said. I would try to increase the temperature and the intensity of light ( brighter lights ) in his enclosure to simulate him "it is spring". Offer your tort fresh greens too. That is what I would do. Good luck !

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

If you know that the tortoise has not eaten for a couple of weeks then perhaps you can offer up a short sleep. You can control the environment so this will allow you to allow the tortoise to do what he is driven to do, but for a couple of weeks vs an entire sleep cycle. Then slowly manipulate the enclosure to bring back in warmth and bright daylight....

I only suggest these things because you say the tortoise has been in your care/his enclosure for a number of years. I also am assuming that your tortoise is normal in every other way and not sick.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This is a really interesting question. I've never hibernated my Russian because I don't understand how to fully. I've had him almost 12 years. He does slow down in the winter. I let him. Even when he's been quiet in the winter, when I check on him he looks back. I actually read online yesterday that you really don't have to hibernate a Russian. I don't know if that's true or not. If you don't feel1000% comfortable don't do it. Keep offering food,warmth, and humidity. Winter is drier air so humidity is a really important issue. I learned more about humidity on Tortoise Forum. That info has helped my tortoise and me. I've read that their humidity level requirements are about the same as ours. Best wishes.

jayde

Manchester
Thanks he's eating today and been basking all day as he couldn't get into the dark box part. I will allow him to do so at night and I believe he has been in a long sleep for a couple of weeks already. He is in good health moving around and is a good Weight for his size. I will look into the humidity and change his bulb for a new one. Thanks alot for the advice

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks he's eating today and been basking all day as he couldn't get into the dark box part. I will allow him to do so at night and I believe he has been in a long sleep for a couple of weeks already. He is in good health moving around and is a good Weight for his size. I will look into the humidity and change his bulb for a new one. Thanks alot for the advice
How much does he weigh? I've been trying to find online a ball park healthy weight for an adult male Russian. Please don't take my advice unless you check it out. I was only saying I haven't hibernated my tortoise. I might be just being selfish.