My tortoise just ate this plant...

Isaaaakkk72

Location (City and/or State)
Gallup, New Mexico
My Russian was wandering around the house when he decided to eat quite a bit of this plant. I don’t know what it is but will he be okay?

IMG_1554922645.361655.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t think I met you in the new members forum so Welcome! If I haven’t already said it.

Regarding your plant question, it’s pothos.

Opinions vary. It can be irritating and possibly harmful to some mammals. On the other hand, some of our owners have had it in their enclosures for years with no problems.

I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I *would* worry about you letting your tortoise free roam in your house. It’s not safe for them for various reasons, one of them being you have no idea what they might eat. You were lucky this time.

You’ll hear from others shortly on the dangers of free roaming, I’m sure.

Isaaaakkk72

Gallup, New Mexico
I don’t think I met you in the new members forum so Welcome! If I haven’t already said it.

Regarding your plant question, it’s pothos.

Opinions vary. It can be irritating and possibly harmful to some mammals. On the other hand, some of our owners have had it in their enclosures for years with no problems.

I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I *would* worry about you letting your tortoise free roam in your house. It’s not safe for them for various reasons, one of them being you have no idea what they might eat. You were lucky this time.

You’ll hear from others shortly on the dangers of free roaming, I’m sure.

I only let him roam around today cuz I was disinfecting his tank :)

Isaaaakkk72

Gallup, New Mexico
Thank you all for your help :) I’ve had my little guy for a while and this is the first time I let him walk around. I didn’t know it was a huge danger. But thank you!!!