My tortoise keeps going to the bathroom in water dish

rissa_noelle

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I have a 1 1/2 year old sulcata tortoise. He gets baths weekly. I have a water dish large enough for him to sit in that's in his home. Lately, he's been sitting in it a lot more than usual. It wasn't a problem until recently. I've noticed that he will, I'm assuming pee (because there's no poop pellets), in his water dish a lot. It smells very very strong and turns the water a dark brown color. Like I said, this wasn't a problem before, but I've had to change his water multiple times within a couple days because he keeps going to the bathroom. Is this normal? He wasn't doing it before. Any tips?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They like to go in their water dish. Since it's brown, it could be poop

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like dmmj said they like doing that and it probably is poop. Put in a smaller dish for drinking and let him use the bigger one for soaking and pooping. It's a good thing that he likes to self soak and the pooping on it keeps the enclosure cleaner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tortoise should be soaked daily or close to it. This will solve the problem and keep your tortoise hydrated at the same time.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Sulcata are hippo. They love to do all their business on the water. If you can not soak at least 15-30 minutes daily, a water dish would be much helpful.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sulcata are hippo. They love to do all their business on the water. If you can not soak at least 15-30 minutes daily, a water dish would be much helpful.
Russians must be copycats, they also do it.