My tortoise keeps making a duck sound?

Borngood

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello whenever I finish taking my tortoise on a walk outside and put him in the bath he tends to start making a sound like a duck but doesn’t in his cage at all what could be the cause of this? He still eats an enormous amount and likes to climb and run around all day from morning to night in his cage and also outside he does eat an insane amount of weed outside wonder if he’s getting constipated from the amount he eats outside

here’s a video of him doing it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello whenever I finish taking my tortoise on a walk outside and put him in the bath he tends to start making a sound like a duck but doesn’t in his cage at all what could be the cause of this? He still eats an enormous amount and likes to climb and run around all day from morning to night in his cage and also outside he does eat an insane amount of weed outside wonder if he’s getting constipated from the amount he eats outside

here’s a video of him doing it
That is his beak making that noise. Show us a close up picture. Does he have an underbite?

Your tortoise should never be loose outside. You will eventually lose him or have one of many other disasters if you keep doing that. Make a large secure outdoor enclosure for outside time to keep him safe and in his own familiar environment.

More here:

Borngood

California
That is his beak making that noise. Show us a close up picture. Does he have an underbite?

Your tortoise should never be loose outside. You will eventually lose him or have one of many other disasters if you keep doing that. Make a large secure outdoor enclosure for outside time to keep him safe and in his own familiar environment.

More here:
Here’s a photo of his beak! I always watch him when he’s outside and never leave his sight wouldn’t wanna take the chance to lose him haha

Attachments

• F68320FE-6BB4-45E6-990B-94484DE554C9.jpeg
    F68320FE-6BB4-45E6-990B-94484DE554C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • A2860A2B-0B5E-45EC-A2EA-B488E785B37F.jpeg
    A2860A2B-0B5E-45EC-A2EA-B488E785B37F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am not an expert at all, but I wonder if the water rippling could in some way be stimulating his throat muscles to make this (very cute) noise ?
Angie

Borngood

California
I am not an expert at all, but I wonder if the water rippling could in some way be stimulating his throat muscles to make this (very cute) noise ?
Angie
Weirdly he does do it once in a while when he’s outside as well now but usually after he eats some weed plants so not sure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I always watch him when he’s outside and never leave his sight wouldn’t wanna take the chance to lose him haha
That is what every one says who loses their tortoise outside. Think about it. Do you think anyone just randomly puts their beloved pet outside and doesn't have any intention of watching it and paying attention? Nobody thinks it will happen to them, until AFTER it happens to them. Everyone who does this has the best of intentions and is100% they will be watching the tortoise. Don't learn this lesson the hard way. You'll never forgive yourself, and it feels awful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. If you build a safe outdoor enclosure your tortoise can spend all day outside when it's warm enough which is what a tortoise should be able to do. It's safer and better for him and less stress and worry for you.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Watching this thread bc I’m really curious about the quacking sound. It’s adorable but no idea if healthy, dangerous or what. Will be interested to learn…

Borngood

California
Watching this thread bc I’m really curious about the quacking sound. It’s adorable but no idea if healthy, dangerous or what. Will be interested to learn…
yeah I’m hoping someone can give a reason why as well haha I let him eat green all day, soak him daily let him eat a lot of rocks for calcium and give him even spring water with two lights to keep him warm and a lot of obstacles to play around in

Sonnenblume

South Carolina
My Redfoot has started to make a strange clacking sound as well around the same time you posted so I have been following :).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yeah I’m hoping someone can give a reason why as well haha I let him eat green all day, soak him daily let him eat a lot of rocks for calcium and give him even spring water with two lights to keep him warm and a lot of obstacles to play around in
Are you serious about letting him eat rocks?
Tortoises should not be eating rocks! That's probably the duck sound if you seriously let him eat rocks, one is likely stuck.