My tortoise looks like her head is sunburned

Fishlou92

Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hi everyone!

I noticed a few days ago it looks like my 7 year old Greek tortoise has a sunburn on her head. I recently bought her a tortoise table and am wondering if the heat lamp irritated her skin because it’s closer to her than her previous enclosure. I put my hand under it and to me, it didn’t feel too hot. I’ve read that tortoises can’t really get sunburned but I’m not sure what else it could be. Other than that, she seems like her usual self!
Thank you!

image.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Did you try to rinse or dab it off with water and a towel?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
More than likely it's stain from whatever's in the enclosure or from what he's been eating. Tortoise "sunburn" wouldn't be red, it would be dry and crisp.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Looks like substrate dust settled into the cracks of your tortoises skin. Give it a soak and try to wipe its head off. If it is substrate dust that means it is too dry, add water to it every few days to keep the dust down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone!

I noticed a few days ago it looks like my 7 year old Greek tortoise has a sunburn on her head. I recently bought her a tortoise table and am wondering if the heat lamp irritated her skin because it’s closer to her than her previous enclosure. I put my hand under it and to me, it didn’t feel too hot. I’ve read that tortoises can’t really get sunburned but I’m not sure what else it could be. Other than that, she seems like her usual self!
Thank you!
What type of bulb and at what distance? What is the temperature under the bulb if you place a digital thermometer under it and let it cook for an hour?

Fishlou92

TX
More than likely it's stain from whatever's in the enclosure or from what he's been eating. Tortoise "sunburn" wouldn't be red, it would be dry and crisp.
I'm wondering if its the new clay saucer I put in her enclosure, for her food. I've only had her for about two weeks so this is all very new to me!

Fishlou92

TX
What type of bulb and at what distance? What is the temperature under the bulb if you place a digital thermometer under it and let it cook for an hour?
I don't have a thermometer but I will definitely get one to see what the temp is! Its the ZooMed double light with a heat lamp and uvb, I'm not sure of the specifics though. It is 10" above the bottom.

Fishlou92

TX
Looks like substrate dust settled into the cracks of your tortoises skin. Give it a soak and try to wipe its head off. If it is substrate dust that means it is too dry, add water to it every few days to keep the dust down.
How much water do you recommend putting her in? And at what temp? Thank you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

View attachment 315889
This looks like either dust from some substrate or juice from something the tortoise was eating which got on top of the head and has dried into the crevices between the head scales. If you get a very soft small toothbrush and dip it in a little warm water, I think you will be able to brush it off without too much effort. Children's toothbrushes are usually quite soft, as are those designed for periodontal patients.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
How much water do you recommend putting her in? And at what temp? Thank you!

You should be soaking your tortoise once a week. You can use a container to do it, your bathtub or a sink. Just fill the water so it comes up mid-shell and let them sit in there for 10-15 mins, they will likely poop and scramble to get out don't worry most do not like to soak and will do this. Water should be pretty warm, not scalding. If the water gets too cool add more warm water, just make sure you monitor your tortoise the entire time it is soaking in case they flip over or anything. As far as keeping your substrate less dusty, add water to it every couple of days and mix it around. In case you haven't seen this already check out the care sheet below this has a ton of really helpful info. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have a thermometer but I will definitely get one to see what the temp is! Its the ZooMed double light with a heat lamp and uvb, I'm not sure of the specifics though. It is 10" above the bottom.
That is the wrong type of UV bulb to use. Please read the link that sleppo left for you. You'll need to make some changes ASAP.