My tortoise never stops scratching

DesertAmy

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I've had a russian tort for almost 6 years and I can't take it anymore. He NEVER stops scratching. I guess it's because his cage is too small, based on other posts. And I know I can't try and adopt him out on here before I post 100 times. But I don't know what to do with him. He does not bring me joy; all he does is get on my nerves. I want him to have a good life, and I feel like he's not getting that from me since I'm upset at him for scratching all the time. Please help.

20200519_143957_capture.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes, it is likely because your enclosure is too small. An adult Russian like yours requires an enclosure that is 8x4 feet or larger, and the only way to stop the scratching would be to upgrade it. If you are unable to do so, it may be best if you were to rehome it to someone who could. I believe you only need to have 100 posts if you’re asking for money for him, but I could be wrong.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Scratching at the sides of the enclosure is a pretty common sign of stress, mine did this with his previous keeper as she had him in a 10g aquarium.

I think Technocheese is correct, you maybe offer him up for adoption here, free of conditions or judgement.

Once he is in the proper size/conditions the wall climbing/scratching will cease. Mine never did it again, not even once.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There has to be a TFO member here in the greater Las Vegas area who could use another Russian. A new large enclosure will go a long way to stop the scratching & trying to escape.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If you were willing to ship and if I were able to convince my parents (that’s a big if), I would be willing and able to take him and offer a 28-32 square foot indoor enclosure and secure 8x8 outdoor enclosure. I have been really wanting to take in a Russian for a while, and the current state of the world has given me even more time to do it. I can’t promise anything, though.

DesertAmy

Las Vegas, NV
I would be willing to pay to ship (although I'm not sure what that entails/how to keep him safe). I do care for his well-being, but I don't have the ability to give him the space he needs. He is very sweet and never does anything wrong except stress. I do not want any money for him; I just want him to be happy.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I would be willing to pay to ship (although I'm not sure what that entails/how to keep him safe). I do care for his well-being, but I don't have the ability to give him the space he needs. He is very sweet and never does anything wrong except stress. I do not want any money for him; I just want him to be happy.
I’ll see about it, and walk you through shipping if the time does come. It’s actually very safe when done correctly :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there any way you can set him up outside in a safe and secure pen?

DesertAmy

Las Vegas, NV
Is there any way you can set him up outside in a safe and secure pen?
No, I can't. And I feel so bad but I didn't know how much space he needed until I found this forum recently. I was told by the pet store that scratching was normal. I feel so bad that he's been stressed this whole time and I didn't know.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you were willing to ship and if I were able to convince my parents (that’s a big if), I would be willing and able to take him and offer a 28-32 square foot indoor enclosure and secure 8x8 outdoor enclosure. I have been really wanting to take in a Russian for a while, and the current state of the world has given me even more time to do it. I can’t promise anything, though.
Sending?via air waves.?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Guess who buttered up their parents into saying yes!
here are a few shipping guides. I recommend using ship your reptiles if you need help

Please let me know if you need me to pay or split the shipping. I can totally cough up some money if need be ;)

I'll DM you my address, and start getting the set up ready! That is assuming you’re alright with this, of course.

I’m sure Curtis, my sulcata, will be more than willing to share his 25 pound bag of mazuri pellets :)
15EB9532-612A-4BE8-B844-2D6FF09E69E8.jpeg

DesertAmy

Las Vegas, NV
here are a few shipping guides. I recommend using ship your reptiles if you need help

Please let me know if you need me to pay or split the shipping. I can totally cough up some money if need be ;)

I'll DM you my address, and start getting the set up ready! That is assuming you’re alright with this, of course.

I’m sure Curtis, my sulcata, will be more than willing to share his 25 pound bag of mazuri pellets :)
View attachment 295121
I'm reading through the websites now. Just so you know, I've only had him about 5 years so he has a very long life ahead of him. He has never been around other tortoises before, but he is very docile and seems to be good-tempered. Thank you all for your helpful feedback. I did not know what to expect since I feel like I've failed him as a pet owner with my lack of knowledge.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm reading through the websites now. Just so you know, I've only had him about 5 years so he has a very long life ahead of him. He has never been around other tortoises before, but he is very docile and seems to be good-tempered. Thank you all for your helpful feedback. I did not know what to expect since I feel like I've failed him as a pet owner with my lack of knowledge.
Oh don’t worry, Curtis will never know of his existence, and he will never know of Curtis’s. They’ll both live the rest of their lives with the belief that they’re a spoiled, only child :)

Don’t worry about a lack of knowledge! That fact that you came to get help means you haven’t failed him. Just as you said, he has a nice, long life ahead of him, so the this comparatively small piece of his journey will be but a distant memory soon. You have my word that he’ll live the rest of his days as a spoiled, happy tortoise :)

Last edited:

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Oh don’t worry, Curtis will never know of his existence, and he will never know of Curtis’s. They’ll both live the rest of their lives with the belief that they’re a spoiled, only child :)

Don’t worry about a lack of knowledge! That fact that you came to get help means you haven’t failed him. Just as you said, he has a nice, long life ahead of him, so the this comparatively small piece of his journey will be but a distant memory soon. You have my word that he’ll live the rest of his days as a spoiled, happy tortoise :)
:) :<3: ?Very cool both DesertAmy and TechnoCheese! So happy you are going to work it out for the Russian tort! Take care both of you and please update us on his new life!

DesertAmy

Las Vegas, NV

View attachment 295121
There are 5 different shipping kits, but the suggested sizes are for lizards, snakes, and geckos. What size would be best to ship Piglet (the Russian tortoise) in? His shell measures 5" from head to tail.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There are 5 different shipping kits, but the suggested sizes are for lizards, snakes, and geckos. What size would be best to ship Piglet (the Russian tortoise) in? His shell measures 5" from head to tail.
I would go with shipping kit #2 and, instead of using a delicup if it’s too small, use a Tupperware container with ventilation holes made. I found this thread to be useful-

Edit- Listen to Mark on this one. I’m just guessing, but he has more experience with it.