My tortoise only poops in his enclosure

FenderStrat73

Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
My red foot tortoise has been pooping in his enclosure every other day for a week or two. I'm still waiting for a larger Animal Plastics enclosure that I ordered, so his current enclosure is not big enough. The poop gets all over everything in there. I've been having to take everything out and thoroughly clean every other day. Is this somewhat normal? His diet hasn't really changed, if anything he's been eating less than usual. Should I give him a bath/soak every single day instead of 3 times a week?

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Well, he has to go somewhere. :) I soak Juliet every day and that's pretty much where she poops. It's definitely easier pouring the soak water with poop down the toilet, than it is cleaning out smeared poop in the enclosure.

FenderStrat73

New York, NY
Well, he has to go somewhere. :) I soak Juliet every day and that's pretty much where she poops. It's definitely easier pouring the soak water with poop down the toilet, than it is cleaning out smeared poop in the enclosure.

I'm going to try out soaking every day.

daniellenc

Maryland
His poop should be firm and not smeared everywhere. My guy is soaked daily so it’s rare he poops in his cage but when he does it’s easy to pick up.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He i trying to tell you that he needs that big new enclosure! My tortoises usually poop in their enclosures too because that's where they live, but they will poop in soak water too.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
His poop should be firm and not smeared everywhere. My guy is soaked daily so it’s rare he poops in his cage but when he does it’s easy to pick up.

Yes healthy tortoise poop, like humans, should be firm. Try adjusting the diet to incorporate more dry elements. Maybe the tortoise is not getting enough calcium.