1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

My tortoise pooped out some white stuff

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by Yvonne G, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Quoted from The Reptile Channel:

Tortoises produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid. This is the end product of protein digestion and is also stored in the urinary bladder as a creamy, off-white pasty semi-solid. In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys. When the tortoise urinates, it will pass the liquid urine and the semi-solid urates at the same time. A tortoise may urinate and defecate at the same time, which may leave urate deposits on the fecal material. This will make the feces appear as if it is white or off-white.
    tortoishell and fairuz like this.
  2. flyinghome

flyinghome New Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It will be much better to give a picture at the same time, it can be easier to understand

I am new in raising tortoise, is the white substance in the picture the urates? I hope so.[​IMG]
  3. AmySmart

AmySmart Guest

Yeah, it is really helpful information.. I must get some inspiration from this.
  4. Toby's my tortoise

Toby's my tortoise New Member

mine have done that as well.

Tortoises produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid. This is the end product of protein digestion and is also stored in the urinary bladder as a creamy, off-white pasty semi-solid. In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys. When the tortoise urinates, it will pass the liquid urine and the semi-solid urates at the same time. A tortoise may urinate and defecate at the same time, which may leave urate deposits on the fecal material. This will make the feces appear as if it is white or off-white.
    [/quote]
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter