My tortoise tries to eat my toes!!

Jenna524

Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
My kids tend to go around our Sulcata without shoes or socks, and he tries to eat their toes too, so they stand back or get away. I don’t like it, so I just wear shoes every time. He never goes for my shoes! ?

Tx
They probably still smell like fingernail polish remover ?? Morla was really considering...
Haha! We tested the theory with my hubby’s toes and Morla has zero interest in his toes!!! But still sniffs mine!
I feel like I’m constantly moving away. Or moving Morla away! ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Haha! We tested the theory with my hubby’s toes and Morla has zero interest in his toes!!! But still sniffs mine!
I feel like I’m constantly moving away. Or moving Morla away! ?
Sapphire sniffs every thing he eats before he'll eat it. Since he's a vegan I figured if he'd bite anyone it would be me ? Sure enough he came straight for my leg ? cause I smell like the herbs he loves. Maybe he's saying your husband has stinky feet ? ?

Tx
Sapphire sniffs every thing he eats before he'll eat it. Since he's a vegan I figured if he'd bite anyone it would be me ? Sure enough he came straight for my leg ? cause I smell like the herbs he loves. Maybe he's saying your husband has stinky feet ? ?
I don’t eat much herbal stuff, so I’m wondering what Morla likes! ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don’t eat much herbal stuff, so I’m wondering what Morla likes! ?
Possibly your shower gel ? that's the only thing I can figure as to why my tortoise must like the smell of me. But I've also noticed that mosquitoes and such stuff don't like me as much as other people. I can be right beside them and they're being ate up but I'm not as much. I think tortoises have a really good sense of smell that dictates what they'll eat. It's interesting but can be hilarious too. You have to admit she was sniffing your toes cause she wanted them bad ?? it'll be interesting to see if she goes after them again when all the residual chemical is completely gone.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Possibly your shower gel ? that's the only thing I can figure as to why my tortoise must like the smell of me. But I've also noticed that mosquitoes and such stuff don't like me as much as other people. I can be right beside them and they're being ate up but I'm not as much. I think tortoises have a really good sense of smell that dictates what they'll eat. It's interesting but can be hilarious too. You have to admit she was sniffing your toes cause she wanted them bad ?? it'll be interesting to see if she goes after them again when all the residual chemical is completely gone.
Oh yeah. Keep sticking your toes out there for our experiment ?

Two babies

5 Year Member
I move my tortoise away constantly, or I move away. I only captured the shot for reference. I don’t encourage it. I don’t want a toe snapped off in the future. Guess the nail polish needs to go! Morla didn’t do this when they were blue!

but Morla does it with my socks on too! I want to discourage it. I give lots of cuddlebone so I’m kinda confused, except the polish makes sense
One of my tortoises was fond of my feet when she was a baby. I never wore polish. She just touched my toes with her tongue. Yes, they will nibble if your toes are the color of favorite flowers. Maybe your socks are bright? When I wore shoes she would crawl up on them and ride my foot. She also pulled on my shoelaces. She grew out of it, I guess, because now at 12" she follows me everywhere but no tasting. She does check out a pair of shoes she hasn't seen before.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort will occasionally come over and sniff my feet if I'm in his room and he recently showed his objection to a new pair of slippers by trying to barge them. He doesn't like intruders in his room.

motogirl

Tehachapi
Socks or no socks, when I’m outside with my tortoise, Morla, it tries to eat my toes every time we are outside!! My tortoise is 5.5 inches, so still young…

Does anyone know how to discourage this behavior? It doesn’t hurt, but it will as my tortoise grows… Morla is pretty persistent about it. I can move them, move the tortoise. Nope, Morla just comes back to eat them!!

help!?
Mine too, only when I have polish on them...