1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

My tortoise walks almost all day.

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by gattu&coco, Apr 16, 2018.

1. gattu&coco

gattu&coco New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    india
    He just keeps walking and walking all day.. He hardly rests. But sleeps well when he does and eats properly as well. Should I be worried? Is this normal tortoise behaviour? I sometimes feel he has totally forgotten he is a tortoise in real.
  2. Bee62

Bee62 Well-Known Member

Germany
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello, how big is the enclosure of your tort ? Can you please show us pics of the enclosure and your tort ? A picture can say more than 1000 words.
    How are your temps in the enclosure of your tort? Daytemps, nighttemps and basking spot.
    How high is the humidity ?
    Torts often try to escape when these parameters are wrong.
  3. gattu&coco

gattu&coco New Member

india
    That's the enclosure.. I am from India.The humidity is and temp is 33-35°C. He gets proper sunlight and everything else is OK. I regularly visit the vet for routine check ups. He is doing good according to the vet. Its just the walking I am anxious about. And If I bring another tortoise in the house, he gets all worked up, looks angry and behaves exactly like a human child. IMG-20180418-WA0006.jpg IMG-20180418-WA0004.jpg
  4. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    Your tortoise is stressed. Constantly looking for a place to feel secure and comfortable. To hide. Sleeping the best place to find where there is at least some cover it is trying to create.

The enclosure is quite small and the lighting is not good. At least put a few potted plants in there with overhanging fronds the tortoise can hide in and see how he acts.

No matter what the weather says it is, has little to do with what the temperature and humidity is inside a small enclosure. Totally different things. Put a thermometer and hygrometer next to where your tortoise is sleeping and see what it says.
    bouaboua and TechnoCheese like this.
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    He's trying to find a good hiding place where he won't be eaten. Very stressful for him to live in that enclosure.
    vicky219 and bouaboua like this.
  6. gattu&coco

gattu&coco New Member

india
    Cool. Will get on to that. Actually I am still working on the enclosure. Just filled new soil. And took the picture at night so it looks dim. This one does not like too much of light, He looks seriously unhappy with lights on. I kept cover, tunnel, everything possible he just dodges them and sleeps right besides it.
  7. gattu&coco

gattu&coco New Member

india
    I really can't possibly explain you that he is not afraid to be eaten. Most of the days he is just fine.. Doing tortoise stuff as usual.. Its just some days he is like on a marathon.
  8. gattu&coco

gattu&coco New Member

india
    He is fine now.. I don't know what happens to him sometimes. Thanks for the help guys..