My Tortoise will not eat her calcium supplement

LoreleiA

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I have tried mixing it with all of her favorite foods, but as soon as she takes one bite, or notices it's on there, she won't eat for about three days. Even after I wash out the food bowl.

I'm concerned about her growth, so far everything looks good, and she eats kale and other leafy greens as the main part of her diet, but I want her healthy and I'm worried not eating the supplement will hurt her shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're putting too much.

Take a tiny bit of cucumber and cut it up until it's mush. Drop a tiny pinch of calcium on the cucumber and mash it in and all around with a fork. Then chop up her favorite foods and mix the cucumber mush all over the food. When I say a "tiny pinch" I mean just a little dab between your thumb and index finger. A very, very small amount. You can also just lay a cuttlebone in the habitat and leave it there.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
If you are not putting too much; tortoises seem to know when they need calcium and simply won’t eat it if they don’t need it.

LoreleiA

Virginia
I might be doing too much, I was following the recommended amount on the container, which is 1/2 a teaspoon for every 142grams of body weight, and she weighs about 530grams.

I will definitely try the cucumber idea, she likes cucumbers, and if that doesn't work, just offer it to her occasionally and see if she needs it. Thanks!