My tortoise won't eat, and is foaming at the mouth!

Rachel Prior

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
My tortoise isn't using his front legs. He scrabbles with his back legs but he's not really going anywhere because he's not using the front ones. I'm sorry I keep adding things to the list, but as I first time tort owner I'm freaking out!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My tortoise isn't using his front legs. He scrabbles with his back legs but he's not really going anywhere because he's not using the front ones. I'm sorry I keep adding things to the list, but as I first time tort owner I'm freaking out!
He needs to be taken to the vet without delay. No doubt about that.

Newark, DE

It can be so scary and I know there is so much conflicting info on the internet - but luckily you are here now and I can tell you the people here know what they're talking about and are very helpful. I have a two year old hermanns and I'm always on here searching for info and asking questions.
I would definitely get him to a vet. There is a list of vets on this forum.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
So they said his shell was soft- which means he isn't getting enough calcium or UV rays. I bought calcium powder and a UV bulb. How far away should I place it?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the setup I have for my leopards . I have a heat lamp on one side and a Che on the other side . I have the heat lamp set on a timer for 12 hours on 12 off . The Che is on a thermostat set to 80 . I use a fogger set on a timer for 20 minute cycles . See that heat gun sitting on top of the enclosure? That's what I use to check all around temperatures.

1502754708141.jpg

BILBO-03

This is the setup I have for my leopards . I have a heat lamp on one side and a Che on the other side . I have the heat lamp set on a timer for 12 hours on 12 off . The Che is on a thermostat set to 80 . I use a fogger set on a timer for 20 minute cycles . See that heat gun sitting on top of the enclosure? That's what I use to check all around temperatures.

View attachment 215599
Well done! Beautiful setup. How big is that?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So they said his shell was soft- which means he isn't getting enough calcium or UV rays. I bought calcium powder and a UV bulb. How far away should I place it?
You've kept him how long without a UV bulb?
The vet didn't pick up on that?
Damage done from a lack of UV can be very bad. And it may be what has caused this chain of events.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What kind of lighting other than the heating and UV is needed? I will refer back to your care sheet.
A strip florescent U.V. Not a coiled type bulb.
Swap out the sand to orchid bark, also. Up the humidity.

Newark, DE
What kind of lighting other than the heating and UV is needed? I will refer back to your care sheet.
Check out the pic posted here. He needs a either a mercury vapor bulb which would provide UVB and basking, or a basking light (it can be a regular light) and a strip UVB bulb. On the care sheet it should tell you what temps he needs throughout the enclosure and also what basking temp. Most people on here I think prefer the dual strip UVB and basking, but if you want to do all in one, you can get a Mercury Vapor Bulb. He needs a certain temperature to digest his food and get the nutrients, and he needs the UVB to prevent multiple health issues. You can find the strip UVB at a hardware store or Lowes/Home Depot. the MVB you can get a most pet stores - just make sure to check the wattage (they come in 100, 125 and 160 I believe). You don't want to get one that is too high wattage because you'd then have to raise it up to regulate the temperature and that would reduce the UVB he is getting. That's one of the issues with the MVB bulbs. Good luck. I hope he is doing better.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
I sprinkled calcium powder on his food, but he won't eat it. What do I do? He's not getting calcium because he refuses to eat. He just sits under his lights.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How long have you had him in this enclosure?
Have you changed everything as per the care sheets, or Mike's photo above ?
What temperature is his basking spot, warm side, cool side and overnight low ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry for the little tortoise and I do wish the very best for his recovery.