My tortoise won't eat, and is foaming at the mouth!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Well, if you have changed the enclosure, substrate and everything else, then he is going to take time to settle in to his new enclosure. It is not unusual for them not to eat for many days after a big life change like that.
A photo of the new enclosure would be helpful.
Have you seen the vet yet about his mobility problems ?

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
I called and they think he's just feeling weak from the lack of calcium. If he doesn't perk up in a couple of days then I will take him again.

Newark, DE
I called and they think he's just feeling weak from the lack of calcium. If he doesn't perk up in a couple of days then I will take him again.
Some people on here recommend soaking in a mix of strained baby food carrots and water. I know it seems like everyone keeps asking the same things over and over in response to a specific question you're asking, but if one seemingly small thing is off, it can mess up everything else you've tried to do! People are trying to make sure there isn't anything in his set up that is contributing to what's going on.... Good luck with him.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
If I put the calcium powder in the water I'm soaking him in, do you think he'd absorb some of it into his skin?

Bee62

Germany
If I put the calcium powder in the water I'm soaking him in, do you think he'd absorb some of it into his skin?

Torts can absorb very few percents of vitamins and minerals trough their skin but that will be not enough in that case.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
He is still refusing to eat. I'm giving him soaks and he drinks, so he's staying hydrated. He hasn't eaten in probably two weeks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is still refusing to eat. I'm giving him soaks and he drinks, so he's staying hydrated. He hasn't eaten in probably two weeks!

Please answer these questions by the numbers:
  1. What type of UV bulb did you get?
  2. What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
  3. What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve and maintain these temps?
  4. How are you measuring temperatures? What type of thermometer and where is it placed?
  5. What substrate is the tortoise on now?
  6. How long did the tortoise go without being outside in the sun and with no UV bulb inside?
Lets start with these and go from there.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
1. It's not a strip light but it's not a coil
2. Around 85, 80, mid 90's and mid 70's
3. I'm only using a heat/basking bulb and UV light
4. I have a Grreat Choice thermometer/hygrometer
5. Coconut coir
6. Probably a few weeks, short periods of time outside

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. It's not a strip light but it's not a coil
2. Around 85, 80, mid 90's and mid 70's
3. I'm only using a heat/basking bulb and UV light
4. I have a Grreat Choice thermometer/hygrometer
5. Coconut coir
6. Probably a few weeks, short periods of time outside

1. Does the bulb screw in to hooded fixture that can take regular incandescent bulbs? If yes, this might be your problem. Any of the cfl type bulbs can burn their eyes. Makes them want to hide from the light and not eat. It can blind them in some cases.
2. Try about 5 degrees warmer all around.
3. What type of heat lamp? White light? Infrared spot?
6. They can get enough UV in about 2 20 minute sunning sessions per week. Would you say the tortoise got this much? If yes, then lack of D3 shouldn't be the problem.

I don't want to go back and re-read the whole thread, so, are you soaking daily?

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
It screws into the fixture, but he just stays put. He really doesn't move. I'm soaking him about every other day. It's says basking bulb

Newark, DE
It screws into the fixture, but he just stays put. He really doesn't move. I'm soaking him about every other day. It's says basking bulb

What kind of UVB bulb do you have - is it a Mercury Vapor Bulb (which acts as UV and basking and screws into a fixture) or do you have two bulbs - one basking and one UVB? Does he get any outside time and if so, how often and for how long?

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
I have separate UV and heating bulbs. He gets anywhere from 20-40 minutes outside when weather permits and when I'm home to take him.

Bee62

Germany
At this point I think it is time to visit a VET with this tortoise ASAP.
All these assumptions won`t help the tort to start eating again. Two weeks without eating is too much to wait any longer.
That is my opinion.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My tortoise isn't using his front legs. He scrabbles with his back legs but he's not really going anywhere because he's not using the front ones. I'm sorry I keep adding things to the list, but as I first time tort owner I'm freaking out!
Please, please TRY to calm down.

You'll get the help you need here.