My tortoise won't stop eating wood chips...HELP! :(

tortilla4

Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Hi guys,

I have a problem and I really need your help with it. My sweet little Sally has a problem with eating wood chips. She likes to eat her poop (also welcoming ideas on how to help her stop that!) and the poop sticks to the wood chips and then boom, wood chips in the tummy! Tonight she was clearly in pain when she was in the bath and she proceeded to poop out two large wood chips. I can see that its negatively affecting her health but I don't know what to do to fix this issue. Is there something I can do to get her to stop eating the poop? If not is there a substrate that would be more easily digestible? She is a four year old female red footed tortoise. I'm pretty sick about this and I'm hoping you all can help. Summoning wisdom!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you soak more often and longer, your tortoise will only poop in the soak water. Since you dump the soak water out and your tortoise will not be pooping in the enclosure, the problem will be solved.

tortilla4

South Dakota
If you soak more often and longer, your tortoise will only poop in the soak water. Since you dump the soak water out and your tortoise will not be pooping in the enclosure, the problem will be solved.
Thank you Tom! That brings me to one more question, Sally is our school pet in my classroom and she stays at school overnight during the week. Because she’s at school I am only able to soak her on the weekends when I bring her home. Can you help me think of a way that I could soak her at school during the week? My main concern is keeping things sanitary in my classroom. Let me know your thoughts! :)

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have noticed that my year old Russian loves eating poo!! He’s been in the garden over last weekend as it was lovely and warm and my chickens had spent the winter roaming the garden (now back in their run) but there was the odd bit of poo around and he was eating that too.
It is some kind of mineral deficiency? Or do they just like it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi guys,

I have a problem and I really need your help with it. My sweet little Sally has a problem with eating wood chips. She likes to eat her poop (also welcoming ideas on how to help her stop that!) and the poop sticks to the wood chips and then boom, wood chips in the tummy! Tonight she was clearly in pain when she was in the bath and she proceeded to poop out two large wood chips. I can see that its negatively affecting her health but I don't know what to do to fix this issue. Is there something I can do to get her to stop eating the poop? If not is there a substrate that would be more easily digestible? She is a four year old female red footed tortoise. I'm pretty sick about this and I'm hoping you all can help. Summoning wisdom!!!

Wood chips should not be the substrate in its entirety. I would mix some actual earth in as the main substrate ad perhaps add some other for looks....if the tort is consuming the wood chips then there is going to be damage in the tortoise.

tortilla4

South Dakota
Wood chips should not be the substrate in its entirety. I would mix some actual earth in as the main substrate ad perhaps add some other for looks....if the tort is consuming the wood chips then there is going to be damage in the tortoise.
I can do that! What type of dirt? Potting soil would probably not be great since it has plant food in it right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Living in the classroom isn't ideal for a tortoise. What happens to the heat and lights after hours? Your tortoise still needs to be kept warm after the lights go out and the furnace is turned off. RF tortoises should be kept at about 80F all the time.

Spot clean the enclosure all the time. I have a roll of paper towels right next to the enclosure and every time I walk by if I see a poop, I pick it out and toss it.

As to eating the wood chips. . . do you have a red light over the tortoise's enclosure? Sometimes the red color makes things look edible to the tortoise. I would switch to a different substrate and also buy a container of Miner-all mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farm. It provides the minerals tortoises might be missing and helps stop the substrate eating. The supplement might also provide your tortoise with what he thinks he needs by recycling his waste.

tortilla4

South Dakota
Living in the classroom isn't ideal for a tortoise. What happens to the heat and lights after hours? Your tortoise still needs to be kept warm after the lights go out and the furnace is turned off. RF tortoises should be kept at about 80F all the time.

Spot clean the enclosure all the time. I have a roll of paper towels right next to the enclosure and every time I walk by if I see a poop, I pick it out and toss it.

As to eating the wood chips. . . do you have a red light over the tortoise's enclosure? Sometimes the red color makes things look edible to the tortoise. I would switch to a different substrate and also buy a container of Miner-all mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farm. It provides the minerals tortoises might be missing and helps stop the substrate eating. The supplement might also provide your tortoise with what he thinks he needs by recycling his waste.
Thank you for all that great advice Yvonne! Her light and warmer stay on after I leave because I have them set on a timer so they shut off automatically at bedtime but the warmer stays on 24/7. She goes home with me on weekends and over long breaks so she’s always kept at that nice warm 80. The kids and I keep a really close eye on her to make sure I get the poop out right away but she’s a smart little thing and has taken to pooping in her hide so she can eat it without me seeing. Sheesh! She does not have a red light it’s a normal white bulb. What substrate do you think would be best? I acquired her less than a year ago and I was just using the substrate her old owner had in there so I’m trying to learn and figure out what is best for her! Thank you so much for the tip about the supplement, I will order that right away! Let me know your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom, I am eager to learn how to create the best life I can for Sally and I value all the advice you have to share!

calmingwind

Phx Az
Hi guys,

Well dogs do this for vitamins deficiency So add some vitamins to there food as for the wood chip spray bitter apple from petco this may stop them from eating them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The issue for the OP, as I read it, is not that the tortoise is intentionally eating its substrate. The issue is that the tortoise is eating its own poo, and some substrate is sticking to the poo as he eats it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The issue for the OP, as I read it, is not that the tortoise is intentionally eating its substrate. The issue is that the tortoise is eating its own poo, and some substrate is sticking to the poo as he eats it.
Gotcha.
I should read more.
I've never had a Redfoot that ate it's own poo. So I know it's unusual.
But I do like the theory from @calmingwind

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Gotcha.
I should read more.
I've never had a Redfoot that ate it's own poo. So I know it's unusual.
But I do like the theory from @calmingwind
My Redfoot eats his poo all the time. He's a weirdo.

calmingwind

Phx Az
See what there natural diet is in the wild. I would try to add that plus. What ever vitamins that you can ground up and add to something

calmingwind

Phx Az
The other thing is this is a symptom it is caused from something internal or external. Or combination.

tortilla4

South Dakota
Just a guess...You don't have one of those RED headlamps do you?
I ask because Redfoot like to eat things that look red.
No I have a regular white light. She had a red lamp for a short amount of time though so I hope that didn’t cause this. :(