My torts are eating like mad men!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mer001

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia Beach, VA
Im not sure why, or if its just cause they're growing, but my RF and Russian are eating ALOT more than they have in the past couple months. Especially my little RF! He is about 3-3.5" so I blame his eating on a growth spurt. My Russian, Vladimir has always had a hearty appetite!

I feed them once a day and a good sized amount too, and its gone right away!! Should I feed them more than once?

Also, I've been mixing romaine lettuce, collards, red cabbage, sometimes carrots, and zuchini together as a tossed salad diet with calcium powder on top...is this healthy for them? I do give them variety each day. Also what are some good fruits to supplement in on occasion for either the RF or russian?

Thanks everyone, hope all your torts are doing great :)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
That sounds like a good mixture. You can vary it,depending on what's in season.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
mer001 said:
Im not sure why, or if its just cause they're growing, but my RF and Russian are eating ALOT more than they have in the past couple months. Especially my little RF! He is about 3-3.5" so I blame his eating on a growth spurt. My Russian, Vladimir has always had a hearty appetite!

I feed them once a day and a good sized amount too, and its gone right away!! Should I feed them more than once?

Also, I've been mixing romaine lettuce, collards, red cabbage, sometimes carrots, and zuchini together as a tossed salad diet with calcium powder on top...is this healthy for them? I do give them variety each day. Also what are some good fruits to supplement in on occasion for either the RF or russian?

Thanks everyone, hope all your torts are doing great :)

Good fruits for the Red-foot (but not so much the Russian) include: squash, pumpkin, bell peppers, figs, papaya, strawberries, tomatoes, apples, plums, cucumbers, melon, cactus fruits, other tropical fruits. Go light on banana and grapes- lots of sugar. Fruits should make up about 20-25%ish of the diet for the Red-foot.

You can also offer about 10%ish proteins to the Red-foot. There is a more complete list at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/omni-diet list.html

Status
Not open for further replies.