My torty literally flips himself onto his back 24/7

DublinTortyMama

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin
Please help torty gurus, my little 5 month old hermanns flips on his back all the time. He does it off anything I put in his enclosure (many times a day) until I find him and its so stressfull as I know this is so bad for them.
I check him all the time and have a camera in his enclosure but I wondered why he would do this so often????

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Well, it sounds like your tort is a climber. Try to put things in there that are closer to the ground and not steep at all. This is going to sound a bit crazy, but there should really be a gadget or something that can go on their shells that beeps every time they flip over.

DublinTortyMama

Dublin
Well, it sounds like your tort is a climber. Try to put things in there that are closer to the ground and not steep at all. This is going to sound a bit crazy, but there should really be a gadget or something that can go on their shells that beeps every time they flip over.

The gadget is such a good idea!!! #businessidea ?

Thanks so much I will do that, as long as its normal to be a ‘climber’ and its nothing too unusual because i worry so much if I go out for the day post covid times, he could kill himself!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. You might want to post a picture of your enclosure & folks might spot something. Is he trying to get away from hot spots or cold spots or CFL lights, etc. Maybe the enclosure is just too small? Maybe waterdish, or hide isnt quite right. Post a pix!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I had that and removed all climbing apperatus. Really frustrating and snnoying.
Add in more low rocks ( similar to what could go in a fish aquarium) and put a small stone near food and water bowls to aid access and exit. Look at the substrate they like to cave do that give them something to burn energy on and hide away. Read the care sheets to check diet, light, humidity and substatrate is optimum.

DublinTortyMama

Dublin
Thanks guys for your help - here is a picture of the enclosure. I now only have the cave, the water dish and the food bowl in there ... as he was flipping off everything else.

I will buy a few small stones to dot around the place too. The heat/humidity is good and everything else exactly as recommended so I’m honestly not sure what I can do!!!

Attachments

• 065ECAD3-7988-480D-9A54-68B42913EFB2.jpeg
    065ECAD3-7988-480D-9A54-68B42913EFB2.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 98

DublinTortyMama

Dublin
Also he flips off every area of the enclosure so dont think its a heat thing or one particular object ?

Roxanneizded

Texas
Please help torty gurus, my little 5 month old hermanns flips on his back all the time. He does it off anything I put in his enclosure (many times a day) until I find him and its so stressfull as I know this is so bad for them.
I check him all the time and have a camera in his enclosure but I wondered why he would do this so often????
Hi. After fixing the environment, put him in sunshine. If he flips over, he needs more uvb and some uva light. Then, fix your lighting. Good luck.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You say the heat and humidity are good, but what are they? give these caresheets a read and see how your setup compares.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Once your tortoise puts on weight and grows you will find this reduces but removing hazards is a good thing to do. The food looks dry try wetting fresh green leaves also water should be similar to the food bowl so he can climb in to drink and soak. Sand/soil substrate is also not recommended as they can ingest it. Recommend coir or orchid bark and then Spray with water for humidity deep enough it can burrow in. Good luck.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine used to do the same thing. I attached some thick 8.5x11 sheets of plastic to the bottom of the walls so that there isn’t anything for him to grip onto. Also, I made his substrate much deeper so that he has something to grip and get himself flipped back over. Can your tort see out of his enclosure? Once I covered the plexiglass areas, he stopped trying as much.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If they can see out that can stress. I have glass front but have applied 4 lines of tape to lower part to block view from substratate. Some put paper over the glass but I like to see in, blanking lower part helped. All good ideas. Let us know how you get on?

DublinTortyMama

Dublin
Hi everyone just to update here i covered the bottom of the glass as suggested as it totally worked. He has flipped over only a few times in the last 6 months!!! Great work thanks guys
Xxxx