My turn.........Matilda dragging food into water?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I have had turtles since I was very young...under 5 and have never seen this behavior before. Matilda drags her food into water sometimes, I'm assuming to soften it? This morning, slices of radishes(2nd fav only to worms) and tomato slices in her FOOD dish.....I just got home and the radish slices seem to have migrated on their own, if not for the telltale V cuts around the outsides!

Okay, you guys have a ton more experience ...is this common?

jeffdragging food to water.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Not uncommon. Although boxies CAN eat on land, sometimes they prefer to eat in the water. Mine used to do that frequently, especially if it was something that needed to be subdued. The water seemed to give her an advantage over anything that could bite her (like a superworm) or fight back (like an earthworm).

It's possible the water might make it easier to manage anything that could stick to her face, too. Or maybe to soften it up, as you suggested.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't know if it's normal but I do know the enclosure is way too small unless it's for a hatchling or if its larger then it looks.
It looks about the size of a frig drawer.
An adult needs minimum of a 4x8 for the smaller species and hatching at least a 2x4 or larger.

Tjsalyers

Indiana
I have had turtles since I was very young...under 5 and have never seen this behavior before. Matilda drags her food into water sometimes, I'm assuming to soften it? This morning, slices of radishes(2nd fav only to worms) and tomato slices in her FOOD dish.....I just got home and the radish slices seem to have migrated on their own, if not for the telltale V cuts around the outsides!

Okay, you guys have a ton more experience ...is this common?

jeffView attachment 307495
so cute can you post some of your bigger box turtle tank please. Tj

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks for the response PT and very observant Wellington....it is exactly a fridge drawer;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSLYD2G/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

and if you look closer, you will see that Matilda is about 4-5 months old now, is in there....she is in the leaf litter sticker her little head out.

Not sure what you are looking for TJ, She is the only turtle living with me and the pic posted shows her whole home....w/o the lighting of course.

With box turtles inside, I've always provided under-heating instead of a hot lamp or radiant heating. For me, it's safer then accidently cooking one of the little guys. I use liquid D3 in the food at least once a week, and her lighting is UV & LED(her plants grow substantially better with LED than UV! Who da thunk?)

jeff

Tjsalyers

Indiana
Don't know if it's normal but I do know the enclosure is way too small unless it's for a hatchling or if its larger then it looks.
It looks about the size of a frig drawer.
An adult needs minimum of a 4x8 for the smaller species and hatching at least a 2x4 or larger.
She is a baby boxie