My turtle stretches his neck and opens his mouth wide

harshsingh.28

Location (City and/or State)
India
At first I thought that something was stuck in his throat but I dont see anything. He just stretches his neck out and opens his mouth wide. Idk what's the problem.. if anyone can help out pls.
He is about 13 to 15 years old and is a red eared slider
16593413115976535686597402442824.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
At first I thought that something was stuck in his throat but I dont see anything. He just stretches his neck out and opens his mouth wide. Idk what's the problem.. if anyone can help out pls.
He is about 13 to 15 years old and is a red eared slider
View attachment 348184
I am not very experienced, but it sounds like an URTI...he probably needs antibiotics

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That action usually indicates he can't breathe. Like Maggie said, probably an upper respiratory infection.

harshsingh.28

India
That action usually indicates he can't breathe. Like Maggie said, probably an upper respiratory infection.
Alright thanks guys, any precautions or tips that I should keep in mind?
I have scheduled an appointment with the vet.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope it's a reptile vet . cat and dog vets tend to experiment on your reptiles. My experience taught me that. All the best, he looks in distress.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Get him warm, 85F or so.....house temperatures are way to cold for our little guys that live in water. Read through the stickies at the top of this folder and you'll have something to do till more talent chimes in!

My own experience in decades of keeping water turtles in indoor tanks showed me that low temps are the biggest driver with breathing/infection issues but I'm a hack, someone without real knowledge...full disclosure.

Glad you have an appointment, hopefully your vet will be knowledgeable with him!!

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

jeff

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wondered what that pink spot was on his carapace, and wanted to see the plastron.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I wondered what that pink spot was on his carapace, and wanted to see the plastron.
absolutely........ myself i'd get him on antibiotics asap...... and do the temperature stuff too ....

harshsingh.28

India
Get him warm, 85F or so.....house temperatures are way to cold for our little guys that live in water. Read through the stickies at the top of this folder and you'll have something to do till more talent chimes in!

My own experience in decades of keeping water turtles in indoor tanks showed me that low temps are the biggest driver with breathing/infection issues but I'm a hack, someone without real knowledge...full disclosure.

Glad you have an appointment, hopefully your vet will be knowledgeable with him!!

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

jeff
Alright, thanks jeff.