My turtle's sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0f2s5

5 Year Member
I apologize if the grammar here's not great. I'm really worried about my turtle and I don't want to spend too much time correcting this in case it's too late.

I first got my turtle at a night-market when I was 4 (around the year 2000) as a gift, so now it's almost 11 years old.

I'm pretty certain that it's a red-eared slider.

I've been taking care of it until about a year and a half ago because my family's been busy moving and my aunt has been taking care of him (I'm not sure about the gender so I'm just going to call it a "him" to save time right now).

Yesterday when I got him back, I noticed that one of his eye's been kept shut and kind of swollen.

Also, the top shell is significantly smaller than the bottom?
It's to a point where he can no longer place his head and front arms into it.

The bottom's big enough but it's just the top that's causing the problem.

Also, this morning I noticed that there were these little worms squiggling around the tank.
They were about 1 cm long and kind of transparent.

I asked my aunt and she said that she's been feeding him around 6 - 8 pellets a day although he usually doesn't finish them all.
And now, he's refusing to eat anything.

I'm really worried about him right now and I can't take him to the vet because all the vets near here don't look at turtles, only dogs and cats.

Is there anything I can do at the moment to help a bit or at least make him more comfortable?

I'm ashamed to say that he hasn't been treated well in the past because I was to young to understand how to take care of it properly.
If he survives these few days, I'm definitely going to buy him a bigger tank and all the other equipment needed to ensure that he's healthy and happy.

John

5 Year Member
0f2s5 said:
I apologize if the grammar here's not great. I'm really worried about my turtle and I don't want to spend too much time correcting this in case it's too late.

I first got my turtle at a night-market when I was 4 (around the year 2000) as a gift, so now it's almost 11 years old.

I've been taking care of it until about a year and a half ago because my family's been busy moving and my aunt has been taking care of him (I'm not sure about the gender so I'm just going to call it a "him" to save time right now).

Yesterday when I got him back, I noticed that one of his eye's been kept shut and kind of swollen.

Also, this morning I noticed that there were these little worms squiggling around the tank.

I asked my aunt and she said that she's been feeding him around 6 - 8 pellets a day although he usually doesn't finish them all.

I'm really worried about him right now and I can't take him to the vet because all the vets near here don't look at turtles, only dogs and cats.

Is there anything I can do at the moment to help a bit or at least make him more comfortable?

I'm ashamed to say that he hasn't been treated well in the past because I was to young to understand how to take care of it properly.
If he survives these few days, I'm definitely going to buy him a bigger tank and all the other equipment needed to ensure that he's healthy and happy.

can ya post some pictures?

0f2s5

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
What state do you live in?

I live in Richmond, BC, Canada.

squamata said:
0f2s5 said:

can ya post some pictures?

I can only take pictures from the top at the moment because I heard that turtles can't breath properly if you turn them on their backs and I'm afraid that if I hold it with one hand only and it struggles, I might drop him.

I've only taken a picture of the eye that's swollen.

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Oh, I was going to try and do a search to find a vet near you but I am not familiar with your area. I did google "exotic pet vet Richmond, BC Canada" and got a list of 82 potential vets. But, I have no idea how big Richmond is or if the vet's listed will see turtles. It is a start though, I think your turtle needs to go to the vet.

0f2s5

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
Oh, I was going to try and do a search to find a vet near you but I am not familiar with your area. I did google "exotic pet vet Richmond, BC Canada" and got a list of 82 potential vets. But, I have no idea how big Richmond is or if the vet's listed will see turtles. It is a start though, I think your turtle needs to go to the vet.

Yea, I did a quick search but the problem is that all the vets near here don't look at turtles.
The other thing is that I can't go far because I can't drive yet and my mom's not that great with directions (especially if we need to go downtown for this).

It's also too late now but I'll try and convince my mom as soon as I can tomorrow if they aren't closed on the weekends.

I know time is important but there's not much I can do at the moment ):

Thank you so much for your help and concern.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi 0f2s5:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

First thing to do when your turtle is sick it raise the temperature. Does he have a light and a water heater? Heat really helps them fight off what ever is ailing them.

Because its only one eye, and not both of them, I'm more inclined to think it might have been an injury rather than some sort of illness.

Can you give us some info on how you have the turtle set up?

0f2s5

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi 0f2s5:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

First thing to do when your turtle is sick it raise the temperature. Does he have a light and a water heater? Heat really helps them fight off what ever is ailing them.

Because its only one eye, and not both of them, I'm more inclined to think it might have been an injury rather than some sort of illness.

Can you give us some info on how you have the turtle set up?

Thank you!

My name's Natasha.

I've been refilling his tank with warm water ever once in a while yesterday and today.

I don't really have the proper equipments (like heaters and lamps) because like I said earlier, I was too young when I got him so I never understood how to take care of a turtle properly.

I'm also not sure of the size of the tank but I know for sure it's not big enough.

I really regret this and I will be buying the proper sized tank and equipment as soon as I can.

About the eye, that's also what I thought too, but he hasn't been eating properly and that's what's gotten me into thinking that he's sick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Natasha:

Does your turtle have a place in the tank where he can climb out of the water? You can position your desk lamp over the tank so that the light shines on his dock.

I don't really see anything wrong with his shell in the picture.

0f2s5

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Natasha:

Does your turtle have a place in the tank where he can climb out of the water? You can position your desk lamp over the tank so that the light shines on his dock.

I don't really see anything wrong with his shell in the picture.

Yes, he has a place where he can get out of the water.
I'll try placing a desk lamp over the tank.

I'm worried that it might become too hot though.
Do they usually move away from the heat if it gets too hot?

It's great to hear that the shell is fine.
I'm hoping that he doesn't feel like eating because of the cold weather.

Thank you so much for your help.

0f2s5

5 Year Member
CtTortoise said:
What about the worms in the water? Is this a sign of a parasite?

I'm not really sure.

As I've mentioned in my first post, I haven't seen my turtle in about a year and a half so I've never seen this before.

There were two floating on the surface and squirming around (and about 5 under the water not moving at all so I'm not sure if they were actual worms or just something else).
They were less than 1cm long and kind of transparent too.

CtTortoise said:
What about the worms in the water? Is this a sign of a parasite?

Here's what they look like:

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you post a pic of his tank too?
I think both eye look puffy.. and he himself seems puffy..he needs to be warmed up.
Can you buy anything now?
The worms look like maggots.. not pinworms that would come from him..
so ???

0f2s5

5 Year Member
Laura said:
can you post a pic of his tank too?
I think both eye look puffy.. and he himself seems puffy..he needs to be warmed up.
Can you buy anything now?
The worms look like maggots.. not pinworms that would come from him..
so ???

IMG_1577.jpg

Before anyone says anything, I know that the tank's WAY too small.
There's no other excuse than me being a bad pet owner and not doing the proper research of how big it needs to be when I was smaller.

I will be getting a bigger tank along with the proper equipment this week.

Right now I've placed a lamp over it and I think it should be hot enough but not too hot.

And how should I get rid of/prevent the maggots?
I've noticed a really small bug with wings floating on the water.
I can't identify it because it's dead and crumpled up into a ball.
Could this be what caused them?

I know that it's really dirty right now and I'm off to clean it so I won't be replying in a while.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that is the tank? its more of a bowl...
have you seen pictures of other water turtle set ups to know what to aim for?
A turtle has to be able to put his head under water to eat. Id look at diet changes as well.
Actually IF they are maggots.. its a food source..
bugs are probably falling into the water...
I hope with better food, heat and tank,, this little guy can make a turn for the better..
its lived this long..
start making a list of what you are going to need. heater, lights, filter, tank, haul out area, gravel, food, plants.....

0f2s5

5 Year Member
Laura said:
that is the tank? its more of a bowl...
have you seen pictures of other water turtle set ups to know what to aim for?
A turtle has to be able to put his head under water to eat. Id look at diet changes as well.
Actually IF they are maggots.. its a food source..
bugs are probably falling into the water...
I hope with better food, heat and tank,, this little guy can make a turn for the better..
its lived this long..
start making a list of what you are going to need. heater, lights, filter, tank, haul out area, gravel, food, plants.....

Yea, I know it's living space is terrible right now.
Unfortunately I was a stupid thirteen year old when I gave him to my aunt to take care of with no further instructions.

I have been doing research these past few days and I will buying the needed equipments.

Thank you for your help so far.

Do you have any suggestions for specific equipments and food?

ALDABRAMAN said:
I wish the best!

Thank you

LindaF

5 Year Member
I am so sorry your Turtle is sick and the grownups in your life have let you down in its care. I hope he gets better soon. On a positive note red eared sliders are very hardy. Give him as much water to swim in that you can, and a nice warm spot that he can get out of the water and bask in. Even a rock can work for basking. You don't need an expensive dock. Best wishes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Natasha:

You don't have to buy expensive things to make your turtle comfortable. You can start with a large plastic tub. You can buy them for around $10 (not sure of prices in Canada). Then get a clamp-on light fixture that you will attach to the side of the tub. Get a brick or large rock and wash it real good. You place the brick at one side under the light. Then add water to the top of the brick (so the top of the brick is out of the water). The light gives him a place to warm up, then he jumps back in the water when he gets too warm.

I think to get rid of those worms, all you have to do is clean out the bowl well. Rinse off the turtle under the faucet and wash the bowl. The worms are probably just in the water, and not in the turtle.

If you don't want to buy a filter, then you MUST change the water when it gets dirty (probably every other day or so).

Seeing the second picture you've posted, I can tell the little guy is somewhat deformed. This is from not enough heat/sun and the wrong kind of food. He should have some live food occasionally. Worms, crickets, etc. Pellets are ok too, but not every day. So one day give him some worms. The next day toss him a chunk of zucchini. The next day a few pellets. Maybe a strawberry the next day. Give him a nice variety and his shell will start to grow more normal-looking. But he has to have either the sun or some good heat from a light.

Good luck and keep us informed!
I'm glad you are now thinking of giving your turtle a better life. They can be very rewarding pets.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Yvonne, you gave the best advice ever! You should see how many bins, tanks, lights, filters, and rocks I have laying around. Every size bin, for every purpose possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.