My two sulcatas like being together, should I still separate them?

AudgePaudge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I will separate them tomorrow. My parents are giving me a spending limit of $400 for their enclosed chambers. I believe that is more than enough to build them with the idea I have. It is similar to a very recent post by another individual who decided to use a bookshelf from Ikea. Buying 2 large yet rather cheap bookcases plus replacing the backing for something more waterproof and tough, wood to make the lid to close it, along with a sheet of acrylic for each will be the bulk of my project. I intend to use no UVB/A lights, just heating, as I still have their original intended enclosure outside where I will have them for several hours each day.

As for now, I have made some rather poor top cover container enclosed chambers. These will be used for only one or two days until I go out and buy the bookshelves.

Wish me luck.
How old are you?

mike6789

indonesia
They don't "like" each other, and they will not be "sad" if separated. They are also not "helping" each other.

Everything you just described is tortoise aggression. This is one tortoise telling the other to: "Get out of my territory!" You need to separate them ASAP.

They are solitary animals in the wild. They do not like, need or want any company. They don't make friends and they don't get lonely. Living as a pair is highly stressful for both of them and the chronic stress can make them sick and eventually kill them. Groups of juveniles usually do okay together, but not pairs. Pairs are much too personal. One is dominant and one is subordinate, and neither of them want the other one around.

how if a group? i mean 6-7 sulcata with the big space... do they get stress more than just 2? is it save for them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
how if a group? i mean 6-7 sulcata with the big space... do they get stress more than just 2? is it save for them?
Groups of juveniles are usually fine. As they reach maturity, the males become problematic. Males mature sooner than females and they will begin harassing the immature girls. Best to raise males alone. Multiple mature males will result in fighting. Once in a while you hear of two males together and they survive for a while, but its not good for them.

mike6789

indonesia
Groups of juveniles are usually fine. As they reach maturity, the males become problematic. Males mature sooner than females and they will begin harassing the immature girls. Best to raise males alone. Multiple mature males will result in fighting. Once in a while you hear of two males together and they survive for a while, but its not good for them.

at what age/how big are them when they reach maturity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
at what age/how big are them when they reach maturity
Males can reproduce at 14". I've heard of a 15" female laying eggs, but 17 or 18" is more common. Usually not before 5 or 6 years of age for females regardless of size. Males get very boisterous as they near maturity. They can be a real bother for smaller females that are nowhere near ready to breed. I find it best to house the males separately. You can try putting bachelor herds of juvenile or subadult males together. Some times they get along and sometimes they don't. Usually they don't.

Twinklybits

Raeford
Sadly, Tom is correct. “Cuddling” and sleeping together is one tortoise trying to stress the other out of its territory, and “following” is really chasing. Definitely not affectionate.

Hey cheese! New here and hoping you or someone up here will let me know if keeping my hermits & 4month tortoise in the same tank? They seem to be fine and I’ve read the crabs can help the upkeep of the tank by feeding on the waste- is this true?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey cheese! New here and hoping you or someone up here will let me know if keeping my hermits & 4month tortoise in the same tank? They seem to be fine and I’ve read the crabs can help the upkeep of the tank by feeding on the waste- is this true?

No, they absolutely should not be in the same tank. As far as I know, hermits need salt water, sand or a sand mixture, very different diets, and have the ability to pinch. The tortoise should not have access to any of these things. Along with that, tortoises are solitary and would likely be stressed by the crab if the tortoise is small.

Please give these a read, and get them separated ASAP.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Twinklybits

Raeford
Since these are such loner creatures,is it healthy for them to be held at all? My sulcata baby seems to like sitting on my chest &napping- it seems to warm him and be soothing -but is this a misread sign of stress or is it calmness? Also I’ve read to spritz or drizzle them once daily with water but now to soak them for up to 30mins-what’s best for this species?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Since these are such loner creatures,is it healthy for them to be held at all? My sulcata baby seems to like sitting on my chest &napping- it seems to warm him and be soothing -but is this a misread sign of stress or is it calmness? Also I’ve read to spritz or drizzle them once daily with water but now to soak them for up to 30mins-what’s best for this species?

You can still hold them and such, but keep in mind that they’ll usually just tolerate it. It’s good to get them used to being touched, just try not to over do it.

mountaintwin

Laval
I was feeling very guilty as i am selling one of two russian tortoises tomorrow, i got the second to be a friend but noticed it taking over the basking area and biting original turtle when feeding, original turtle was polite sniffing it but lately they finally sleep side by side, but from time to time i feel new one is dominating, maybe thats their nature but tomorrow i cant erase, i dont even know their sex as they are 1 year old, i guess it is better to mix turtles after knowing their sex. my little one learned a lot from the new turtle as the new one came from a batch of turtles that has been with it for a year but my original one ive had since it was a super baby. i hope it doesnt get bored as im rarely home and i live alone and thats the reason i got it a friend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was feeling very guilty as i am selling one of two russian tortoises tomorrow, i got the second to be a friend but noticed it taking over the basking area and biting original turtle when feeding, original turtle was polite sniffing it but lately they finally sleep side by side, but from time to time i feel new one is dominating, maybe thats their nature but tomorrow i cant erase, i dont even know their sex as they are 1 year old, i guess it is better to mix turtles after knowing their sex. my little one learned a lot from the new turtle as the new one came from a batch of turtles that has been with it for a year but my original one ive had since it was a super baby. i hope it doesnt get bored as im rarely home and i live alone and thats the reason i got it a friend.
You've made the right call. Your tortoise didn't see the other one as a friend. It was an intruder, competitor, foe, rival, adversary, etc... Your tortoise is happy to be the sole king/queen of the castle.

One of the nice things about reptile pets is that they don't need or want our attention. The better species tolerate our musings and petting, but they are also fine if we just leave them be, or go on vacation for a couple of weeks. As long as they have their basic needs met, they are not emotionally hurt if we don't pay them much attention. Some even prefer to be left alone. You are not doing your tortoise any harm by housing it alone. Quite the opposite. When weather permits let the tortoise roam around in a large, safe, secure outdoor enclosure. That is all the enrichment and entertainment it needs.