My update on my girls MEPS.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Here is a picture of my 2 Meps that I got from Vic Morgan in Oct 2012. They will be getting a new heated tortoise house and be able to free range the back grassy yard by where I have tall clumping bamboo. More pictures to come this weekend.
The first is the 2020 and the second is when they where just babies.
I want to give thanks to all the folks who have given me advice over the years on how to raise them.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Black Mt 2022.jpeg
    Black Mt 2022.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Black Mt 2012.JPG
    Black Mt 2012.JPG
    727.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lookin' good!! I bought a hatchling from Vic a couple years ago too. I lucked out in that the one baby I kept from one of my own clutches ended up being male, and the one I bought from Vic is female! Several years ago my tortoise partner took our Mep home with him to the San Diego area, and all I had left was my small group of Mee (except for the one Mep hatchling I kept). So now I'm back on the road with a very small group of each species.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Lookin' good!! I bought a hatchling from Vic a couple years ago too. I lucked out in that the one baby I kept from one of my own clutches ended up being male, and the one I bought from Vic is female! Several years ago my tortoise partner took our Mep home with him to the San Diego area, and all I had left was my small group of Mee (except for the one Mep hatchling I kept). So now I'm back on the road with a very small group of each species.
Please, Yvonne, could you tell me what a Mep and a Mee are?
Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Manouria emys emys (Mee) are from Malaysia, Borneo and Sumatra. Manouria emys phayrei (Mep) are from East India, Myanmar and Thailand.

Also known as Mountain and forest tortoises or brown and black. And even the eight legged tortoise. This is why it's a good idea to use the latin name rather than the common name.

Mee doesn't get quite as big as the Mep.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Manouria emys emys (Mee) are from Malaysia, Borneo and Sumatra. Manouria emys phayrei (Mep) are from East India, Myanmar and Thailand.

Also known as Mountain and forest tortoises or brown and black. And even the eight legged tortoise. This is why it's a good idea to use the latin name rather than the common name.

Mee doesn't get quite as big as the Mep.
Thank you very much, Yvonne Surely there isn't an eight legged tortoise ? !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you very much, Yvonne Surely there isn't an eight legged tortoise ? !!
They have VERY large back leg spurs to protect them from (I guess) tigers being able to chew them up.