My very tame musk turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris.Todd.1991

5 Year Member
So last year I set up a tank for and purchased a musk turtle. Over the past 10 or so months this turtle has become so tame that whenever someone comes into the room she is right on the glass staring you down for food. She almost had to be hand fed because if you just throw food in she just sits at the glass waiting for you to feed her. She has become part of the family in my house, whenever someone goes into the room they run to watch her. If we invite guests over they're shocked how tame this turtle is.
Anyone else have other turtle stories like this one, or have a turtle that has become so responsive as mine??

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
To make a long story short, a friend called and said, a turtle as big as a dinner plate just laid eggs on the side of the road near his house on RT.301 in Waldorf MD. I dug them up and hatched them, they were red belly turtles. I kept one of the youngsters and set up a tank in my wife's office in La Plata MD. He was a hit with all of her clients, especially the ones with small children, and it didn't take long for him to become spoiled and act like your musk turtle. He is still people friendly after all these years living in a pond with less human contact. Len

Chris.Todd.1991

5 Year Member
I'll post some photos when i get home, I'm on vacation in Florida at the moment
Nice story

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
All of my turtles are great little beggars. I love my Reeve's turtle's set up, because it is right at eye level and it makes it easy to interact with him.

Be careful of overfeeding, turtles will beg and beg and beg and it is just as bad for them to be overweight as it is for us ;)

My little Musk comes to the glass and begs as well, but handling him is a different matter... I am surprised I have not yet been bit ;)

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
mine are there when the food is - they decide whether they want to be shy or not lol

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
that's great your musk is so tame... mine's a little firecracker! she'll (i say she-its about 4 months old), come over to eat then high tail it to hide with her food. She shares a tank with 2 baby softshells, which are conditioned to the color yellow for food & they follow fingers very well. All of my other turtles are trained/condidioned in some way, be it clicker trained, trained to come to a tap & climb on my hand, color trained, etc... it's so cool to show them off to ppl that come over-they really are the life of the party-lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.