My vet suggested mealworms?

MisterElrond

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
Richard went to the vet today and when the vet was talking about diet she suggested added mealworms or crickets to his diet. In everything I've looked at regarding Russian tortoise diet I've never seen anyone say they should be eating either of those. Does anyone here give their Russian live insects?

Note: When I left she gave me an info packet for box turtles, and kept referring to him as one on his discharge papers so I'm already considering a different vet for his next annual check up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Of course russians don't need insects in the diet, but I wouldn't use mealworms for a box turtle either. There are much better alternatives.

Either you need a new vet, or you need help identifying your own animal. One or the other. :)

MisterElrond

Columbus, Ohio
Here's a picture of Richard. (there's a few more in the album on my profile if you want to see more)

If he's actually a box turtle then he is very cleverly disguised.

Attachments

• richard.jpg
    richard.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 90

mikeh

5 Year Member
I would moisten the Zoomed pellets with bit of water till they swell. It will go down and digest much easier and won't dehydrate the animal. Crumbling it over fresh broadleaf weeds if even better.

MisterElrond

Columbus, Ohio
Thank you!
I'll moisten what he has now. He usually won't eat them at all, so over his usual greens might get him to.

MisterElrond

Columbus, Ohio
Here's a photo of his plastron as well. No hinge like a box turtle would have.

Attachments

• richard plastron.jpg
    richard plastron.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 58

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
100% a Russian. You need a new qualified reptile vet if he can't tell the difference between a Russian and a box turtle

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Even if ?i was blind, I could tell the difference between a russian and box turtle. Insects should not be provided to a russian as part of it's diet.

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon
I'd start looking for a new more qualified vet they obviously can't tell the difference between turtle and tortoise, a tortoise is a turtle but no turtle can be a tortoise.

Eltemp

St. Peter, MN
Had a similar issue with our vet and our
Res. Gave my wife a box turtle care sheet. Also proceeded on proscribing cat and dog anti fungal medication which did no good and I stopped using it after this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your friends on the Forum suggest a new vet! :)

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
A buddy of mine is a vet and I'm slowly turning her into a reptile vet. She's mainly large and small animal, not much “exotic". Just to be the Cowboy, when I send her information for reptile healthcare, I always say at the end, “this information is not a substitute for qualified veterinary care". It's a wonder we're still friends.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
A buddy of mine is a vet and I'm slowly turning her into a reptile vet. She's mainly large and small animal, not much “exotic". Just to be the Cowboy, when I send her information for reptile healthcare, I always say at the end, “this information is not a substitute for qualified veterinary care". It's a wonder we're still friends.

LMAO!!!

Elohi(Earth)

MisterElrond

Columbus, Ohio
Vet update:
I took Richard to a different vet and they did a much better job. Gave me care instructions for Russians this time and noticed some things the other vet didn't catch, including that apparently Richard is a pretty little lady tortoise.
I'm happy to have found a better vet so soon, even though Richard's been grumping out under her favorite rock all day after that calcium injection lol

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Don't there exist, on the Internet machine, listings wherein one can post the experience they've had at a specific place of business?