My WC Russian Wants to Hibernate....?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I am assuming that Martha is trying to hibernate. I bought her from Petco last Feb so this behavior from her is new to me. She has almost completely stopped eating. Temps have not changed in her enclosure, UV content inside is the same, but she is not getting as much outside time as its been cooler & rainy.
She spends most of the day & night buried into the substrate now & she did not use to. I have been digging her up to soak her BUT I am not sure if I should be bothering her at all???????

I have no experience burmating so I do not want to do a crash course with my beloved Martha unless it will negatively effect her health long term if I don't.

Question- Is it all dangerous to her health, being that shes wild caught, to not hibernate her? I am trying to stop a natural process that I am sure she has done for many years....
& Is there anything I should be doing or not doing to stop her - AKA- I wake her up, soak her, put her under UV Lamp, And place her near her food bowl hoping to encourage her to snap out of it....

Thanks for any advice.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
there wont be any huge negative health effects stopping hibernation even as a WC who has before. I've had Nank for 2 years now, we're entering winter #3 together no hibernation, I couldn't not have my munchkin to wake up every morning (he helps my depression). He never really fought me keeping him awake, he never even seemed to notice it was winter. You said UV hasn't changed, how are the temps? have they dropped some with it getting colder outside? How long do keep the UV light on during the day, people suggest when torts decide they want to hibernate to bump up the "day" length for them by keeping the lights on slightly longer if you're not already.
It may be a fight but if you don't want to hibernate its a fight you have to fight. If the non-eating continues i'd start baby food soaks too, I'd try to make sure she gets out in the light if she wants to bury and sleep since the light is needed to kinda snap her out of wanting to hibernate.

I'm sure people who are experienced with torts doing this will be around to help more, but I thought I'd add my insights in until they do.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You said UV hasn't changed, how are the temps? have they dropped some with it getting colder outside? How long do keep the UV light on during the day, people suggest when torts decide they want to hibernate to bump up the "day" length for them by keeping the lights on slightly longer if you're not already.

I'm sure people who are experienced with torts doing this will be around to help more, but I thought I'd add my insights in until they do.

My Temps have not changed- I have 74- to low 80's temps through out cooler areas & 95 in basking area. UV reads the same as it did this summer ( I have a meter & Temp gun). I have lights on a timer that run 7: am to 10 pm. Shes in a 6x3 enclosure inside & I get her back out in the sun now (colder this month) a few hours a week at least. I might have to start baby food soaks. She ate a little two days ago but only her favorites so I am also worried about getting her the right blend of diet.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sometimes Russians can flat out decide its time to hibernate even if nothing changes they just know. Even look down the Russian tort section of the forum tons of people are getting this problem this time of year since the torts know. I don't have much advice since like I said I've never personally had the problem, but in the meantime you can surf the section for similar sounding posts and look at the advice on those until an expert pops up :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I guess my main question would be is there anything I can do to help her or is there anything I could be doing that would hurt her (which I would obviously want to avoid)

I have been trying to get her to snap out of it, but its not working out too well.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Martha spent a lot of time outside today in a good sunny weather ohio day. She ate with her old gusto at long last. Hope this continues!

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
My Russian has been eating a lot because I also think he's trying to hibernate . I as well live in Ohio and have been trying to deal with the cold rainy day but any chance I get I put him outside. Mine hasn't yet gotten slower . I hope the best for you and your little guy

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would suggest that YOU decide what you are going to support for this tortoise and follow through with it for this winter....there is everything right about allowing a tortoise to brumate, especially if that tort is showing you every signal it is time....I would recommend you to please educate yourself in supporting this natural part of their life cycle so you are more comfortable with choices you make in regards to that topic.

However, you are the human and you are the one in charge..the tort is at your mercy. So, if you decide to not support brumation for whatever your personal reasons--then please make sure the enclosure and the torts day is business as usual--and don't take offense if the tort does not concur...continue to use the lights, offer the soaks, offer the food and be sure to dig the tort out and place it in the basking light a few times a day and make your own winter routine....because see, if you support brumation then you will do certain things going into the event to assure the best outcome for the tort---soaking, no longer offering food supplements and so on...but if you are allowing the tort to eat and such then you will need to be sure to provide all of the other "stay awake" items too....the tort may lose some weight during the overwintering --that is if the tort does not agree and you have to pester it the entire winter...suppose you will figure this out as you go---the system that works for you....best wishes :D