My wife wants a Razorback musk turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We visited the reptile island in Stanton this past Saturday and while we were in there, my wife fell in love with these tiny little turtles that were in a tupperware container w/ water.

And from what I remember he said these were razorback musk turtles. The brown ones were 19.99 and the white/black ones were $35.00

Anyway, She really wants one now and I want to get it for her so that she can fall in love w/ turtles/tortoises too! :D

Can anyone direct me to a trustworthy caresheet for these little guys???

Also, he said they only get about 4-5 inches?

I plan on getting just one and I have a 25 gallon long tank.

Do you have any suggestions? Warnings? Experiences?
Thanks in advance guys!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the mud and musk turtles are pretty neat, plus they stay small.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They are my favorite of all the water turtles. I love them.
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-razrbk.htm

My friend had his in a 27 gal tank. In the middle of the tank he had a planter with a verigated pond plant with a lot of small river rocks. It was tall, and the water came up to the top of the planter. The little musk would sit up there in between the plants. It was adorable.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have a Stinkpot and a Three Lined, they are awesome little turtles :)

A 25 long will work fine, BUT you should have an above tank land area so that you can utilize the entire tank for water volume. Muds and Musks aren't big time baskers, but they should have a spot in case they want it.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This is all good stuff. Thanks! Is a water Heater really necessary? I have one but I'm afraid to use it cause I heard of horror stories and water heaters.

I like that idea of the potter and plant to act both as a basking spot and a hide. Pretty neat idea.

What are some plants that can be in that type of environment?

redfoot925

5 Year Member
If I recall right musk do not need deep water as they are not very strong swimmers, they are very cool little guys though, someone please correct me if I am wrong with the info provided,
Pics?:)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They can swim. They are aquatic turtles. I think some go overboard with the shallow thing... I have my guy in a 54 gallon corner tank with an above tank platform, and he has no problem getting to the platform.

For babies, make sure there are plants or stones that they can use to help them get to the surface. But adults seem to do just fine in water up to two feet... and most tanks aren't that high anyway.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i have a little stinkpot in with my florida softshells (all juveniles) & she holds her weight with the 2 big guys just fine. My musk has a bit of an attitude-she is ferocious-all 2 inches of her! But I hear the razorbacks are a less inclined to bite. Good luck!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well?!?! Mother's Day is coming up...indulge her!:p Also, is Reptile Island on Beach Blvd?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DeanS said:
Well?!?! Mother's Day is coming up...indulge her!:p Also, is Reptile Island on Beach Blvd?

Reptile Island is in the city of Stanton. But yes its major cross street is Beach blvd. The actual street it's on is Katella

Status
Not open for further replies.