My young Sulcata tort has weird flaking on his shell?

Kooks_1776

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just recently I’ve noticed these strange little flakes in between the scutes of my tortoise and I can’t figure out anywhere online what it is. His behavior seems normal and the temperature in the tank stays around 80-90 on the hot side. He gets at least 10 hours of light. Idk what it is at all.6051CE85-66CE-43B5-AF16-564D02B224FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your "desert tortoise" looks to be a sulcata, and sulcata don't come from the desert.

The flakes are just debris from the items in the tank. . . probably flakes off the moss in the lower right corner of the picture. Nothing to worry about.

Please read this care sheet:

Kooks_1776

Michigan
Your "desert tortoise" looks to be a sulcata, and sulcata don't come from the desert.

The flakes are just debris from the items in the tank. . . probably flakes off the moss in the lower right corner of the picture. Nothing to worry about.

Thank you, sorry I just hastily typed it out. But I tried to clean it off his shell since I soaked him today and it’s not cleaning off at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet it will come off if you use a brush.