Mystery At The Pond

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Earlier today I saw a snapping turtle covered in mud sitting at the edge of the pond, It was much larger than the 2 that I knew were there. Thinking back to 2016, I'm sure I had 3 snappers out there. I had a lot going on last spring and didn't miss the 3rd snapper and never thought about it. Years back I was raising some albino red ear sliders and when they got big enough I moved them to the outside pond and after their first winter outside one was missing and never showed up. Until the next year when he showed himself again. so he was hidden for 2 winters and 1 summer. I crawled around looking for him the first spring and couldn't find him, The pond area is only 400 square feet in size and if it was above ground I would of found it, A bright yellow turtle is hard to miss. Just figured it was gone but didn't know what happened to it. Since I didn't think about the missing snapper I never searched for it. So twice now in recent years I've had 2 water turtles stay under ground all summer. I wonder if they ever do this in the wild ? I couldn't get a good pic of the 3 but I can see all 3 in this pic, ones head at the top and one at bottom left and the 3rd is under water about a foot to the right of the one at the bottom snappers3157.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can see them. I sure wouldn't think they would hide away for a summer. Interesting. I wonder if they do that in the wild too and what/why they would.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Sunday morning I saw this snapper out for a cruise around the pen.so I went and got the camera to take a pic,snapper and painted.jpg A little later Rocket was barking and by the way he was barking I knew something was up out of the ordinary, This is what he was barking aboutsnapper on fencr.jpg I believe this how he got out of the pen escape route.jpg I would have loved to see him make the escape even with the box leaning against the wall there is still a 4 inch cap to maneuver past.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sunday morning I saw this snapper out for a cruise around the pen.so I went and got the camera to take a pic,View attachment 239403 A little later Rocket was barking and by the way he was barking I knew something was up out of the ordinary, This is what he was barking aboutView attachment 239404 I believe this how he got out of the pen View attachment 239405 I would have loved to see him make the escape even with the box leaning against the wall there is still a 4 inch cap to maneuver past.

That first pic looks like the turtle is birthing straight from the ground...what a great moment caught....

Len B

10 Year Member!
How unusual is it for a snapping turtle to exit the water?
I don't think I've seen more than 2 not in the water after decades in Florida.
See the adults quit frequently here out wandering around beginning in the spring into summer. mostly females looking for a good spot to lay eggs, I get several calls from people about big turtles in someones yard all summer.People even knock on the door and ask if one of my turtles got loose.I usually see 3 or 4 big females right out front in the road stopping traffic every year. Then later in the summer the hatchlings start showing up everywhere. Until I bought the house at the beach I never realized how far the females travel from water to lay their eggs.The snapper in the pic's was found just outside my front door a couple years ago...

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
IMG_0246.JPG
How unusual is it for a snapping turtle to exit the water?
I don't think I've seen more than 2 not in the water after decades in Florida.

I see a couple around this time of year. The road I live on, has a low spot with a creek on both sides, so they tend to try and cross frequently.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
View attachment 239501

I see a couple around this time of year. The road I live on, has a low spot with a creek on both sides, so they tend to try and cross frequently.
Cool
I miss small creeks.
We have deep canals here everywhere.
There's none of that charm...

daniellenc

Maryland
The boxies are everywhere right now. I’ve booted the same one out of Skurts growing food 4-5 times in the last two weeks. Super cute and colorful for a box turtle buuuuut I’m not gardening for our native species lol.