Mystery Sulcata - Found in the desert with an old injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

champy

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new here, and excited to get to know everyone. My first post is about my first Sulcata: "Maximus." Max was apparently found wandering in the Utah desert by someone from the fish and game, and through a series of coincidences, has ended up in my permanent care. He seems quite robust and healthy, although his shell has some obvious pyramiding. My primary concern, however, is what appears to be an old shell injury.
ShellTop.JPG
You can see here, that the front right scute of his carapace is very small and crooked. It almost looks like he got crushed at some point. It doesn't seem to be a hindrance to his mobility, and, as I said, he seems perfectly healthy otherwise. I am concerned, however, at how much smaller that scute is than the rest of his carapace. Has anyone ever seen an injury like this? My main worry is whether or not his growth is stunted or if the injured portion might stop growing and further aggravate the deformity as the rest of him grows around it. I'd love to hear any thoughts that the members of this forum might have.
Other questions/thoughts: I have no idea how old this tortoise is. I've read quite a few growth charts and threads here now. Max weighs approximately 25 lbs, so if he's growing normally, I'd say he's between 5 and 8 years old. However, given his injury, I don't know that normal growth is necessarily a given in this situation. Again, I know there's no definitive way to tell, but I'd love to hear some guesses and/or opinions. Here are two more pictures for reference. Thanks!
MaxSmall01.jpg
MaxSmall02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The answers to all of your questions would be nothing but guesses, but I wanted to say hello and welcome.

All you can do is offer him a good diet, temps and enclosure and hope for the best.

champy

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The answers to all of your questions would be nothing but guesses, but I wanted to say hello and welcome.

All you can do is offer him a good diet, temps and enclosure and hope for the best.

Thanks for the welcome, and the forum, Tom! I'd love to hear some guesses, even if they're wild. In the end, as you implied, I suppose time will tell some of my answers. I'm sorta hoping that someone will have seen something similar in their travels. Thanks again!

acrantophis

5 Year Member
If he has lived in the wild for any length of time I'm sure he is on the under weight for his size. After eating a better diet for a few months his weight will likely increase. I say this because he looks pretty big and my girl was 20lbs when she was 13-14" plastron length at 3.5 years. Your guy seems older and has probably suffered from MBD as a juvenile. He still has a lot of growing to do and the shell will improve as he ages with better husbandry.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hi there! I have a rescued sulcata whose shell is very similar to your guy's. Mine has a huge dent on one side and lots of deformity from prior MBD and pyramiding. If it does not seem to be interfering with his mobility, he should be fine. Good husbandry is the key from here on out. I'm glad this guy ended up with someone interested in providing proper care. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Kudos on getting him and bettering his life. I can't offer any help or guesses, but glad your here.:)

champy

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
Hi there! I have a rescued sulcata whose shell is very similar to your guy's. Mine has a huge dent on one side and lots of deformity from prior MBD and pyramiding. If it does not seem to be interfering with his mobility, he should be fine. Good husbandry is the key from here on out. I'm glad this guy ended up with someone interested in providing proper care. :)

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to check out this thread. Shellysmom, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for your experience, and for taking the time to share!

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
emysemys said:
To me, it looks more like he was stuck in something. Like maybe a plastic band from a six-pack of soda cans...and as he grew, the band got tighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln7_m8Msrgc

Great video Em. I mean not that he was injured but great find. :) Such a resourceful bunch we are. Love this village & all it's villagers. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just wanted to say, "Hi and welcome!" Glad he was found and now has himself a permanent loving home.

champy

5 Year Member
acrantophis said:
If he has lived in the wild for any length of time I'm sure he is on the under weight for his size. After eating a better diet for a few months his weight will likely increase. I say this because he looks pretty big and my girl was 20lbs when she was 13-14" plastron length at 3.5 years. Your guy seems older and has probably suffered from MBD as a juvenile. He still has a lot of growing to do and the shell will improve as he ages with better husbandry.

MBD is Metabolic Bone Disease, yes? How does that come about/ what are the effects? Can you quantify the "seems older" thought for me? I'm not sure what physical differences accompany age beyond size. Thanks for all your input, everyone.

champy

5 Year Member
Well, the plot thickens and the details roll in. With a little detective work, I was able to find out a LOT more about Max. Turns out he didn't live in the desert. . . ever. . .:rolleyes: I was dreadfully incorrect. Max is a 9-year-old captive hatchling raised in Wyoming in a small indoor enclosure, and ate just pre-mixed salad for the first few years of his life. After being turned over to a local wildlife expert, he was given outdoor time and a better home, which he outgrew, before being passed on to me. He likes baths and, I've observed that he will come out of his house when he hears my family and I in the back yard (ostensibly expecting some grape vine leaves, which he usually receives). Anyway, turns out them's the facts: 9 years old. 25-ish lbs. Never abandoned in the desert, but horribly malnourished as a baby. Oh, and the shell injury is thought to have been from damage to his egg. Thanks again for all of the input everyone!
P.S. Apparently he has put on 10 pounds in the last year or two, so I expect more growth is coming!

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
champy said:
Well, the plot thickens and the details roll in. With a little detective work, I was able to find out a LOT more about Max. Turns out he didn't live in the desert. . . ever. . .:rolleyes: I was dreadfully incorrect. Max is a 9-year-old captive hatchling raised in Wyoming in a small indoor enclosure, and ate just pre-mixed salad for the first few years of his life. After being turned over to a local wildlife expert, he was given outdoor time and a better home, which he outgrew, before being passed on to me. He likes baths and, I've observed that he will come out of his house when he hears my family and I in the back yard (ostensibly expecting some grape vine leaves, which he usually receives). Anyway, turns out them's the facts: 9 years old. 25-ish lbs. Never abandoned in the desert, but horribly malnourished as a baby. Oh, and the shell injury is thought to have been from damage to his egg. Thanks again for all of the input everyone!
P.S. Apparently he has put on 10 pounds in the last year or two, so I expect more growth is coming!
fantastic, glad you found his roots before my guesse of 6 years old would of lead you astray lol. Very fun looking tort and welcome to the forum.

champy

5 Year Member
Wow!

In other news, depending on how much I trust my bathroom scale, Max seems to have gained 3.5 lbs in 2.5 weeks.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
Interesting story! That tortoise looks like he has been on his own in the wild for quite some time. Which is fascinating, because Utah's deserts are rather cold in winter.

Regarding injuries that I have seen like that, tortoises tend to grow 'around' those areas. His conformation may never be normal looking, but he'll be fine.

champy

5 Year Member
Good information everyone. Oddly enough, it looks to me like his sheel has been improving somewhat. I try to take a comparison photo from the same angle today. These shots are both from my iPhone, 3 weeks apart. The newer shot is the daytime one. Hopefully someone can offer a little more insight on the character of his shell. Thanks!
ShellComparisonSept-Oct01.jpg
ShellComparisonSept-Oct02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.