names of antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern calif
for a resperatory infection for a 3 year old sulcatta.Symptoms are watery eyes, watery nose, and now wheezing. Im taking him in to the vet tomorrow and want to get informed on what kind of meds I should expect to get. Thank you

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'd have been more concerned with temps and humidity, as opposed to what meds he's going to be put on...most vets have no idea how to properly treat herps...so, good luck with that!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
baytril seems to be a common antibiotic, but it does depend on what's wrong with your tort so it may or may not be used.

Dean's response is probably less useless than you give it credit for. If it's a rescue then it's all that more important that after the vet you return home and put him in a properly set up environment, which includes temps and humidity.

M

Maggie Cummings

Dean was just trying and failing to be funny, he's a sweetie.
When you bring your tort home increase his temps to about 110 on the hot side and 85 on the cool. It helps the antibiotic to work. Up the humidity as well. It sounds to me like he has pneumonia. How are you keeping him?

elvis

5 Year Member
southern calif
Thanks Maggie, 100 / 85 great info since I'm aware most vets don't know much about tortoise care is why I came here to ask you experts about the different meds. What's best? What doesnt work? I would like to tell the vet what antibiotics I want, do you recommend baytril like Peanutbutter suggested?

M

Maggie Cummings

elvis said:
Thanks Maggie, 100 / 85 great info since I'm aware most vets don't know much about tortoise care is why I came here to ask you experts about the different meds. What's best? What doesnt work? I would like to tell the vet what antibiotics I want, do you recommend baytril like Peanutbutter suggested?

What antibiotic they use depends on what is really wrong with him. Most times they will use Baytril, but the injection stings and makes the spot sore and give an upset tummy so the animal stops eating. I like Naxcel it's softer but I don't think it would be good for the pneumonia that I think your guy has. He is probably gonna use Baytril. So while you're there buy some Critical Care to use when he stops eating and you have to force feed him...that's what I personally would do...

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I didn't recommend baytril, just said it's one of the common antibiotics. :) Which one they use will depend on the vet's experiences and what the vet thinks your tortoise is actually sick with.

If you're unsure about why they chose a specific medication, ask them lots of questions. Questions like, "why this one, what's it do?, how's it different than (insert whatever medicine here, for now "Baytril"), what are the side effects, how does it work etc". Asking lots of questions like these has 2 main effects. 1) You learn about it and you get an understanding of why the doc said to use that medicine and 2) you can be sure the doc isn't just going into auto-pilot and prescribing the "regular" stuff. By answering your questions he/she's gotta think that much more about the answers and give the choice just that much more consideration. ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Perhaps my first response was a little harsh...so let me try to remedy that. Over the years, the few rescues I'd taken in, I found that Amikacin was the best route to go. It's a broad range antibiotic with a lower toxicity rate than most. Now, take into consideration that this is what I was using back in the 80s and early 90s, so I don't know if it's as preferred as it once was...plus I used it primarily on snakes. I'd google it if I were you and see if it meets your needs...less useless? ;)

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
PeanutbuttER said:
I didn't recommend baytril, just said it's one of the common antibiotics. :) Which one they use will depend on the vet's experiences and what the vet thinks your tortoise is actually sick with.

If you're unsure about why they chose a specific medication, ask them lots of questions. Questions like, "why this one, what's it do?, how's it different than (insert whatever medicine here, for now "Baytril"), what are the side effects, how does it work etc". Asking lots of questions like these has 2 main effects. 1) You learn about it and you get an understanding of why the doc said to use that medicine and 2) you can be sure the doc isn't just going into auto-pilot and prescribing the "regular" stuff. By answering your questions he/she's gotta think that much more about the answers and give the choice just that much more consideration. ;)

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. Not sure what vet you are going to, but I have taken many various reptiles for many many years to Dr. Greek in Orange County. He knows his stuff.

elvis

5 Year Member
southern calif
Thank you, I will call Dr Greek tomorrow and see what he has to say. I would love to take him to a recommend Vet, since I'm a Vet virgin !!

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. Not sure what vet you are going to, but I have taken many various reptiles for many many years to Dr. Greek in Orange County. He knows his stuff.

[/quote]

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
keep a few things in mind.

1. Without diagnostics like a culture and sensitivity any antibiotic choice is a guess.

2. Antibiotics from different classes, i.e penicillins, aminoglycocides, cephalosporins, all work differently as to how they attack and kill a
given bacteria

Baytril or enrofloxacin- great spectrum of activity but are not effective in anaerobic infections, but it is painful on injection, can cause skin discoloration and sloughing if not given in the muscle, can also cause stomach upset and cartilage abnormalities in young animals if used too often. (Generally a great respiratory antibiotic and is widely available, easy to dose and that is why most vets use it...comfort level, but overused and bugs are becoming resistant to it).

Amikacin- great for aerobic gram-negative infections, not so good for aerobic gram-positive bacteria, no anaerobic activity....so also a good respiratory agent if the bug is of the gram-negative variety. However, is EXTREMELY hard on the kidneys and can cause kidney failure in animals that already have a pre-existing kidney problem and in young animals---MUST BE WELL HYDRATED AT ALL TIMES. Also has been know to cause hearing loss.

Naxcel or ceftiofur- great spectrum of activity of both gram-neg and positive aerobes and anaerobes and used in respiratory disease very often. Pain on injection and must be in the muscle, also has been know to cause kidney problems in healthy animals.

You, can see the choices are many (and these are only the drugs mentioned by other forum members, there are many more) and SHOULD be made based on the proper diagnostics and a thorough physical examination. Do the vet a favor and have a detailed description of the torts history (as well as you know), diet, cage setup (temps, humidity, substrate etc) since you have had them, did it come to you with the respiratory problem? or did it develop after you got it? (could mean a virus, such as herpes that activate in times of stress). Radiographs would be helpful.

That all said, in my experience, this is going to cost you a probably not insignificant amount of money, be prepared to drop several hundred dollars (don't know what vet prices are in SoCal). Also, do yourself a favor, ask questions (you have some ammunition now)...as many as you want, but don't RECOMMEND any antibiotics.

If your vet doesn't recommend a radiograph or at the very least, sending off a swab/sample for culture and sensitivity, request one be done, it's good medicine and is going to give the best chances of clearing up the problem. The vet will probably want to start you out on a prophylactic antibiotic based purely on clinical signs while awaiting test results...and it will probably be Baytril.

Doc

John

5 Year Member
there is the problem!my vet offered too start baytril while waiting for the culture too come back,the culture was an option.i took but the visit and baytril would cost $100.the culture was another $115,due too finances alot may opt too not have the culture which is a shot in the dark,baytril may work or may not.

p.s my tort survived but it was not fun for me or the tort.also there are reports of alergic type reactions too baytril most in the first few hours soo i would keep an eye on him.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
squamata said:
there is the problem!my vet offered too start baytril while waiting for the culture too come back,the culture was an option.i took but the visit and baytril would cost $100.the culture was another $115,due too finances alot may opt too not have the culture which is a shot in the dark,baytril may work or may not.

p.s my tort survived but it was not fun for me or the tort.also there are reports of alergic type reactions too baytril most in the first few hours soo i would keep an eye on him.

Yes, and THAT is the problem for us too. We offer diagnostics and GOOD medicine, based on our medical knowledge.....and using a prophylactic anitbiotic to cover the most common causes of whatever the problem, IS good medicine. I know everyone bitches about Baytril and I, myself, choose to use other antibiotics when I can (but that just what Doug Mader impressed upon me), BUT IT IS A GREAT ANTIBIOTIC, especially when used as a prophy for respiratory infections while awaiting test results....can you imagine how loud you would scream if your vet made you wait for the test results and your animal died in the interim only to find out that Baytril would have worked? I can hear it now, "He/she could have AT LEAST given an injection of Baytril,,,,EVERY vet has BAYTRIL for God's sake!!!"

Now, if all pet owners would just fork out the cash to run the tests, life would be good. Is that practical, absolutely not! If you can't afford treatment, the vet is left with the burden of trying to fit their diagnostic wishes and the health of the patient into the financial constraints laid out by the owner.....try doing that for a living.....and then we have to listen to, "most vets don't know squat about..**place favorite species here**".

In short, wouldn't it be better if owners were more responsible and looked at their finances and whether or not they are going to be able to afford the possible vet bills (if they can find a vet WILLING to see the animal at all) for a certain species BEFORE bringing it into their home.

I am now stepping down from my soapbox.

John

5 Year Member
I'n not lookin for a debate doc i agree,people get in way over their heads with animals.what i say as far as vets is my own personal experience which is not much,been keepin herps a long time been too a vet twice,the recent one went well,the first did not,that one was funny i called and asked if they had experience with reptiles and they gave me teir sales pitch never asking specifics well when me an two friends pulled that 14 foot retic out of the bag all hell broke loose,it was priceless.p.s. the recent vet did excactly what i wanted start too treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic while we wait for the test results.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
squamata said:
I'n not lookin for a debate doc i agree,people get in way over their heads with animals.what i say as far as vets is my own personal experience which is not much,been keepin herps a long time been too a vet twice,the recent one went well,the first did not,that one was funny i called and asked if they had experience with reptiles and they gave me teir sales pitch never asking specifics well when me an two friends pulled that 14 foot retic out of the bag all hell broke loose,it was priceless.p.s. the recent vet did excactly what i wanted start too treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic while we wait for the test results.

I always enjoy the look on my clients' faces when I tell them that ~90% or more of the problems that I see in reptiles is directly related to husbandry issues.....a little more research, a little more care and attention to detail while setting up and monitoring the enclosure, appropriate diet, etc can prevent most vet visits.

How is the new addition?

rad8ted92083

5 Year Member
If your in the LA area and thats the same Dr Greek I have heard about hes the man you want too see.Best of luck

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I just had a boxie to the vet last tuesday for a URI and they gave him a injection of baytril at the office and sent me home with two more.One to be given thursday and last one on saturday.He was eating before we gave him the last injection!

Status
Not open for further replies.