Nat. Geo Article about Aldabra islands and tortoises.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Homestead ,FL
Wow, the ones in the states sure live the high life compared to its wild family. Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts exactly. This is a barren and unforgiving place. It really does make sense that the weights and growth rates for captive individuals greatly outpace their wild counterparts.
It is pure conjecture on my part, but perhaps the famous longevity of this species is due in part to its evolved natural toughness on virtually every physical level - a necessity simply to be able to survive in a place like this (!).

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
This National Geographic article engenders my continued respect for these ancient ones. We are their stewards, not their owners. There is so very much we have yet to learn for their proper care; they are so forgiving and long-lived. I am smitten . . . my wife and I just love to watch and learn. As always, Orvil

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Great read. Wow! Very nice article. Thank you for sharing.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area

Alaskamike

South Florida
I agree that @ALDABRAMAN has beautiful and healthy Giants. But he certainly does not raise them like their wild counterparts- they have better food / hydration - even temperature regulation than they would have on the atoll.

For me , I don't try to duplicate a wild environment, rather take the best we can learn from it and improve on it. That's why our survival rate for hatchlings is almost 100%, compared to 5-10% in nature - some really tough years almost zero.

To raise the populations of endangered species like the Aldabras and Gallops the babies are raised to 3-5 years old then released. This has greatly improved the survival rates.

I do love the Giants of the tortoise world. Like living dinosaurs !

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Very cool article! I remember seeing the Galapagos Tortoises in a magazine when I was about 6 yrs old and falling in love with tortoises and turtles at that moment!

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I am a newbie when it comes to the Aldabra. I have my 1st one about 8 months old. All of my tortoise experience is with Sulcatas. This is why this forum is a important find for me. I want to make sure to do all the right things.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We actually arrange a 2 week Expedition to Aldabra Island on February 2015.
It is still not easy. Really not easy!!
we hope to be sucessfull.

If so, we will post some more Pictures of Aldabras in natural environment!

Jemo
Get some cool pics of the Somali Pirates too!!! Just kidding.:D

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
How do they get fresh water to drink?

You may have noticed that Aldabra tortoises have very pointy noses. There could be a tablespoon of water from fog or condensation in a curled leaf or small depression in a rock, they can poke their pointy nose there and suck it up through their nostrils.