Natural fertilizer and insect control

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighog85

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. I am having some issues with my yard staying healthy. I have an insect problem that is killing all of my grass but I am hesitant to use anything because I don't want to hurt my torts. A local store here carries a line of natural fertilizers that I know would be fine but the grub control product is not natural. I don't know what to do because it is killing my lawn and the torts aren't getting good food anymore but if I use this stuff it might not be healthy either. Any suggestions?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hey...I bet you could try the food grade dietamaceous earth powder ...make sure food grade...there is a thread on here about ants in enclosure and this stuff is apparently good for insect control...which would then create a healthier turf? :D

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
ascott said:
Hey...I bet you could try the food grade dietamaceous earth powder ...make sure food grade...there is a thread on here about ants in enclosure and this stuff is apparently good for insect control...which would then create a healthier turf? :D

This stuff works great!!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yep, agree with all the other posters. Farmers have been using it for a good while. Safe and not harmful to Humans or animals if you get the Food Grade. Google it, it is really amazing stuff...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The DE works for insects with shells, don't think it would work for grubs. But, I am not sure. It sure works for ants!! It is pretty pricey but someone posted a site that sells it in bulk and you would need a lot for a yard. Just be sure it is "food grade."

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I'm not sure diatomaceous earth would work on grubs due to their subterranean habits although it may be worth a try. For your yard, I think the DE sold for swimming pools would be far less expensive and still be safe.

Warning!!!: Be very careful when dispensing it in the yard. Inhaling the dust is catastrophic for your lungs! Wear a dust mask at least & preferably a respirator.

Note: There is an insecticide that is only activated within the gut of an insect making it harmless to other critters. I have a call in to the friend who told me about it & am awaiting his reply as to its name and efficacy against grubs.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It's not all that safe. There can be serious problems if inhaled.
DixieParadise said:
Yep, agree with all the other posters. Farmers have been using it for a good while. Safe and not harmful to Humans or animals if you get the Food Grade. Google it, it is really amazing stuff...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
HLogic said:
Warning!!!: Be very careful when dispensing it in the yard. Inhaling the dust is catastrophic for your lungs! Wear a dust mask at least & preferably a respirator.

Very true, Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a serious risk with the prolonged/repeated inhalation of any dust.

As for the OP, what about beneficial nematodes? I believe they're supposed to work on grubs, but I've never used them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok I suspect this word Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is made up :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
dmmj said:
Ok I suspect this word Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is made up :)

All words are made up. It is a legitimately applicable term in this context, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.