For-Mr.Spock

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
15831057746605871941966808892641.jpgI picked up Nature's Care Organic Garden Soil from Home Depot thinking it was their organic potting soil brand that seemed good. The ingredients are not exactly the same, so I hesitate to use the garden soil with my russian tortoise, even though it will be mixed with sphagnum peat moss and cypress mulch.

The ingredients are listed above. Could I use this with my russian tortoise indoors? She does burrow.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just go with a thick bed of cypress my Russian has no issue burrowing or walking around. Way cheaper that way too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 287175I picked up Nature's Care Organic Garden Soil from Home Depot thinking it was their organic potting soil brand that seemed good. The ingredients are not exactly the same, so I hesitate to use the garden soil with my russian tortoise, even though it will be mixed with sphagnum peat moss and cypress mulch.

The ingredients are listed above. Could I use this with my russian tortoise indoors? She does burrow.
I would not use any bought in a bag soil. You can't know what composted material it is made of and it could be something toxic.

In addition: This stuff you bought has something called "Water Conserve" in it. You don't want that in with your tortoise.

Also, you don't want sphagnum moss in with your tortoise. The long fibered stuff will be eaten and its an impaction hazard. The dirt like "sphagnum moss" is highly acidic and it can cause their plastron to rot. My friend tired it out under some of his leopards and learned this lesson the hard way.

I've tried all sorts of things over many years. For baby Russians I prefer coco coir. Once they reach about 3-4 inches, I switch them onto fine grade orchid bark that I buy in bulk from local garden centers.

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
I would not use any bought in a bag soil. You can't know what composted material it is made of and it could be something toxic.

In addition: This stuff you bought has something called "Water Conserve" in it. You don't want that in with your tortoise.

Also, you don't want sphagnum moss in with your tortoise. The long fibered stuff will be eaten and its an impaction hazard. The dirt like "sphagnum moss" is highly acidic and it can cause their plastron to rot. My friend tired it out under some of his leopards and learned this lesson the hard way.

I've tried all sorts of things over many years. For baby Russians I prefer coco coir. Once they reach about 3-4 inches, I switch them onto fine grade orchid bark that I buy in bulk from local garden centers.
I got rid of the sphagnum moss mix and replaced it with cypress mulch. I plan to switch to orchid bark when I can, as it looks less likely to stab my tort. I might also mix it with coco coir, as that is a substrate this website suggests and looks soft. I love the idea of giving her topsoil, but I am not finding a topsoil that does not use fertilizer or manure. Thank you for your feedback!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got rid of the sphagnum moss mix and replaced it with cypress mulch. I plan to switch to orchid bark when I can, as it looks less likely to stab my tort. I might also mix it with coco coir, as that is a substrate this website suggests and looks soft. I love the idea of giving her topsoil, but I am not finding a topsoil that does not use fertilizer or manure. Thank you for your feedback!
Orchid bark is best. Cypress mulch is okay. Coco coir is safe, but messy.

I would not use any kind of soil.