Nebulizing with oxine. Questions about biology and chemistry.

Stoneman

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest, United States
Hello everyone

I have heard a lot about nebulizing as a new RNS and upper respiratory infection treatment by means of vaporizing the anti-microbial R10. I have used non-activated oxine for my chickens for a while, and I was wondering if anyone has any information about it being toxic. The product is safe to use and even to drink. The problem occurs once acid. Like citric acid is added, then the product is extremely effective. Even more so than bleach, and then once the reaction has stabilized, the by-product is sodium chloride.

Does anyone have any experience using this product this way? Or could anyone point me in the direction of someone who has used or has understanding of which questions to ask so that I can come closer to reaching a conclusion myself? I want to create a box to fill with the vapor, so that I can treat common infections without compromising long term microbial immunity of animals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.shagbarkbantams.com/the-many-uses-of-oxine-ah-animal-health/amp/

http://www.bio-cide.com/oxine/

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You might want to reach out to Dr. Thomas Boyer at Pet Hospital of Penasquaitos. He is on the vet list. He has lead the current treatment for various RNS problems and seems pretty confident he can abate most RNS types.

In short, I recall Vets at some zoos I worked at (Kevin Wright DVM), suggesting nebulizing is a very specific method that works in few occasions, but when it is effective it works best.

Dr. Boyer would probably want to know what disease organism has been identified, have that in mind if you contact him. He anesthetizes the tortoise, places it on it's back, and drips the compound of choice onto the roof of the mouth and waits for a steady clear drip to come out the nostril. This therapy works for the Mycoplasma infections as they live on the surface of the nose tissue, not in it, so a systemic compound has no effect. I believe he has published.

Other things can cause RNS, including mechanical obstruction, and 'dust' which can cause an allergic reaction in some species.

What species and what disease organism are you dealing with?

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
It is a theoretical question. So I can be prepared in the future. I have a colony of Indian stars. Oxine has not killed every microbe it has touched, and does not irritate as far as I understand.