Nee “baby” Sulcata age estimate?

Moreentje

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands, Amsterdam
Hi, we got a “baby” Sulcata on November 25th. I weighed her/him and it was 130 grams and 9 cm. I read online that he/she may already be 10 months old. I have no idea how old this Sulcata is. The pet store owner did not know for sure either…

Would be great to know how old she he is approximately.
We live in Amsterdam the Netherlands

Attachments

• AD3D55F0-9168-4787-810A-93EC3E83E7F0.jpeg
    AD3D55F0-9168-4787-810A-93EC3E83E7F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, we got a “baby” Sulcata on November 25th. I weighed her/him and it was 130 grams and 9 cm. I read online that he/she may already be 10 months old. I have no idea how old this Sulcata is. The pet store owner did not know for sure either…

Would be great to know how old she he is approximately.
We live in Amsterdam the Netherlands
There is no way to know. It could be 3 months or three years at that size. It is heavily pyramided and that tells us it has been housed incorrectly. Here is the correct care info:

Moreentje

Netherlands, Amsterdam
There is no way to know. It could be 3 months or three years at that size. It is heavily pyramided and that tells us it has been housed incorrectly. Here is the correct care info:
Thank you Tom. That makes me sad knowing they were housed bad. I will definitely give him the best care I can give him rolling the sheet. 💪🏻

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise. Welcome to the forum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. That makes me sad knowing they were housed bad. I will definitely give him the best care I can give him rolling the sheet. 💪🏻
It really is sad. Most of the world, including almost all of the breeders of this species, have the wrong idea about how they live in the wild and what conditions they need. Almost all of them all over the world are started way too dry, when in the wild they hatch in the beggining of the hot, wet, rainy, humid monsoon season. They emerge from their wild nests into a warm rain shower, and their are puddles and thick green growing vegetation everywhere. Reportedly, the vegetation is so thick within a couple of weeks of the first rains that the whole area is impassable by car, or even with a team of machete wielding guides. Then in captivity they are kept in dry enclosures with dry substrate, nowhere to hide, and low humidity. This is opposite of what they need.

I hope that care sheet helps. Questions are welcome.