Need a few tips!!

morloch

5 Year Member
We are building morloch a new indoor enclosure. 8 feet long and 4 feet wide.i will be using pond liner for the bottom to protect the wood. However, I'm trying to keep at least 5 feet a basking and walking area. The last 3 feet will be his sleeping cave. My question is ... What would be good as protection between the mulch and liner( from getting scratched)?. Can anyone recommend anything ? Thx in advance. My guy is a digger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No need for a 3' sleeping cave. That is way more space than needed for that.

morloch

5 Year Member
So maybe only 2 feet will be sufficient. Any suggestions for between the substrate and liner? Something scratch proof, also,,, would Carbon help with reducing odor. I have tons of carbon sheets from my canister filters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How big is the tortoise? You only need a sleeping house a little bigger than they are. They don't like cavernous spaces for sleeping.

No ideas for protecting your pond liner from a digger. Maybe some thin plywood?

morloch

5 Year Member
I noticed he likes to wedge himself I smaller spaces. He is about 1 foot long and approximately 8 lbs.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Why not spray some "Flex Seal "on the inside and as for digging lay some vinyl flooring the tort will not dig through that !

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The vinyl flooring is flexible enough that you can also run it up the walls and by folding the corners create a dig proof water resistant liner.

morloch

5 Year Member
Vinyl,,, great idea!! Thanks guys!

Flex seal,,, I'll look it up, I never heard of it , maybe both would be safer!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I first seen it on TV but now home depo has it , I use it for sml leaks in my pond . And now it's out in a tube to fill larger leaks .

morloch

5 Year Member
Sweet,,, I'll check it out! At least I have some ideas now, thank you everyone!!