Need a little help with heat

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi very quick question. I am in the process of setting up my enclosure. This is a temporary home for a Greek hatchling.

I’m using a 100w basking bulb which gets really hot!! 105+ So I’ve ordered a dimming thermostat.

Question is the cool side is only reaching 72, do you think I need to run a CHE during the day?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi very quick question. I am in the process of setting up my enclosure. This is a temporary home for a Greek hatchling.

I’m using a 100w basking bulb which gets really hot!! 105+ So I’ve ordered a dimming thermostat.

Question is the cool side is only reaching 72, do you think I need to run a CHE during the day?

I don't have this species....but general good rule is as many micro climates as possible for the tortoise to access.....super hot/warm basking spot-and 100-105 f is not too hot for a basking spot as long as you also provide a middle and cool spot (note, the cool spot should not be wet and cool, just cool) so the tortoise can move in and out of the heat grade as needed....make sure that in the hot spot there are no appealing flip hazards but more of a clear type basking spot..and places to hide in/under as you move away from the basking spot....