Need a new substrate.

Tortoisegirl97

Hello,

I have had a 1 year old tortoise since the 5th of August and he came with Hemp Bedding. I feel like I want to change it but I don't want to use play sand and coir mix. What other substrates do you suggest for a Horsefield tortoise? Could I use regular top soil and nothing else?

Thank you.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Yes sand is a nono. You could also use organic topsoil, or compost. Lots of people here like using orchid bark (fir bark, repti bark)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This might sound stupid but how do I mix coconut coir with the topsoil you have to wet the coconut brick right
Yes, you have to soak the brick in the recommended amount of water for a set time.
Then it's fine to be used on its own or mixed with something else.

itiswhatitis

So what would be the difference in using the brick versus the already eco earth bagged up kind. Just the amount you can make with a brick ?
I use the bags. So was curious if there is a difference.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471289703.885511.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Eco earth is comparable to orchid bark, but orchid bark is much cheaper. Anything from the petshop with a picture of a tortoise will cost more than its counterpart at the garden center of your hardware store.
You'll save money by never again visiting the pet shop.:)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't have a Russian but for my box turtles I use just peat moss, the one someone posted a photo of above. And for my redfoot I use cypress mulch from lowes.