Need a sanctuary for 2 tortoises ASAP! Evacuation!

OliveW

Location (City and/or State)
Branford, FL
Broward, Dade and Monroe counties just closed schools and told all students and employees to stay home tomorrow and Thursday.
(Greater Fort Lauderdale. Greater Miami and the Florida Keys)
Heavy rains have moved in.
This area is still out of the cone

Our schools are closed for the rest of the week. Beautiful weather here.

One of my daughters is a senior accountant for FDOT and normally works from home. They are making her come into the office for the rest of the week to help run a call center. Seriously, she's an accountant ..... 🤦‍♀️

With daycares and schools closed, I'll have three kids to deal with during this storm. I'm not thrilled. I love my grandchildren and don't mind them being here, but the youngest is afraid of storms so I'll have my hands full.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

One of my daughters is a senior accountant for FDOT and normally works from home. They are making her come into the office for the rest of the week to help run a call center. Seriously, she's an accountant ..... 🤦‍♀️

With daycares and schools closed, I'll have three kids to deal with during this storm. I'm not thrilled. I love my grandchildren and don't mind them being here, but the youngest is afraid of storms so I'll have my hands full.
I used to be part of the Broward County Hurricane disaster unit before I retired.
It was interesting. We went from school to school firing up any generators that failed to start and cut up any downed trees etc. And calling in other damage that we found so that the appropriate departments could be notified and ger the schools ready for students ASAP
We had "Emergency Vehicle" placards so that we could get in and out of curfew areas. Kind of eerie being the only vehicle on the street

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Hard to believe they can’t utilize “call forwarding” to your daughter at home. Good luck. Hands full. Stay safe.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
There is a Tornado warning for Broward!

OliveW

Branford, FL
Hard to believe they can’t utilize “call forwarding” to your daughter at home. Good luck. Hands full. Stay safe.

Right?!?! I'm going to point that out to her. I don't know what she's supposed to tell people anyway .... She's an accountant. She has no idea what is going on with the roads. Government makes the most stupid decisions. They tell people to stay off the roads and then have their workers drive to the office.

And they told her to bring the kids with her because schools are closed! Bad enough to have an adult on the road during a bad storm, but 3 kids? I don't think so.

I just hope she can get home again. Her property adjoins ours and this is totally deja vu. When Sandy came through, not even a hurricane, the flooding was so bad that we were here for three weeks, flooded in on all sides. Thankfully, the power didn't go out.

We were among 38 homes that had to get supplies by boat for a few weeks, and had to make a 40 mile out of the way trip to get to town for the following three months. Even that required a 4 wheel drive.

My daughter had only one child at that time, he was a couple years old. Her and her husband were at work when it flooded, in a matter of hours. Child stayed with me for a couple days, but they got to all missing each other and he had to be taken to them by boat to stay in town the next few weeks. We could drive to the crossing, and see them on the other side, but if no good Samaritans happen to be there with a boat at the time, you had to have one with you.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They must have figured out what they are going to do with their torts. I haven't seen a post from them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Right?!?! I'm going to point that out to her. I don't know what she's supposed to tell people anyway .... She's an accountant. She has no idea what is going on with the roads. Government makes the most stupid decisions. They tell people to stay off the roads and then have their workers drive to the office.

And they told her to bring the kids with her because schools are closed! Bad enough to have an adult on the road during a bad storm, but 3 kids? I don't think so.

I just hope she can get home again. Her property adjoins ours and this is totally deja vu. When Sandy came through, not even a hurricane, the flooding was so bad that we were here for three weeks, flooded in on all sides. Thankfully, the power didn't go out.

We were among 38 homes that had to get supplies by boat for a few weeks, and had to make a 40 mile out of the way trip to get to town for the following three months. Even that required a 4 wheel drive.

My daughter had only one child at that time, he was a couple years old. Her and her husband were at work when it flooded, in a matter of hours. Child stayed with me for a couple days, but they got to all missing each other and he had to be taken to them by boat to stay in town the next few weeks. We could drive to the crossing, and see them on the other side, but if no good Samaritans happen to be there with a boat at the time, you had to have one with you.
Wow!