Need advice ASAP!!! (discolored mouth)

savannah_c

Usually I give my tortoise a variety of greens and recently I gave him romaine lettuce and he loves it! I did notice that after eating romaine lettuce his mouth area has turned a sort of darker shade then it was before, I'm extremely worried! Can anyone give me advice on why it could be darker?Snapchat-9150261918335427613.jpg Snapchat-4478220777388450117.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
It could just be that his mouth got wet eating the Romain lettuce. There's lots of water in there.

majxmom

Barstow's mouth always looks like that after eating lettuce. You ought to see him after a blueberry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Might not have anything to do with the lettuce. They will frequently eat their own poo. I call it: "The dreaded black mouth disease", in jest.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Usually I give my tortoise a variety of greens and recently I gave him romaine lettuce and he loves it! I did notice that after eating romaine lettuce his mouth area has turned a sort of darker shade then it was before, I'm extremely worried! Can anyone give me advice on why it could be darker?View attachment 188357 View attachment 188358

It gets darker because6se the romainne is wonderfully full of water...when they devour the lettuce they really go at it and the face gets saturated with the moisture...all good and totally normal after a face full of romainne...

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Usually I give my tortoise a variety of greens and recently I gave him romaine lettuce and he loves it! I did notice that after eating romaine lettuce his mouth area has turned a sort of darker shade then it was before, I'm extremely worried! Can anyone give me advice on why it could be darker?View attachment 188357 View attachment 188358
What a precious little face!

Coco Channell

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Las vegas
OMG I was so worried about my little ET s face and mouth. Now I know he's ok and I'm not doing anything wrong. He ate Romaine and red hibiscus and his face looks black

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG I was so worried about my little ET s face and mouth. Now I know he's ok and I'm not doing anything wrong. He ate Romaine and red hibiscus and his face looks black
It was the hibiscus!

Coco, you've just proved that if one were to do a 'search' for the answer to their question, they would find a lot of helpful information. I see that you've brought up three different old threads that answer your stained mouth question! Good job!!