Need advice asap ! (tort tangled up in wire)

Elysajrochin

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Hello everyone,
I have a desert tortoise I live in Phoenix,Az. Today we found our tortoise tangled up in our wall lights in our backyard. We looked at our camera and she was hanging tangled for 15 hours. We only noticed when our dog kept barking until we went outside. She was some scratches on her face for what i assume from trying to break free. She is extremely exhausted won’t eat or drink anything. She is also having trouble moving her arm and legs. I’ve been monitoring her but she just seems to be sleeping, to be expected. I’m just scared. What should I do to help her? Should I take her to vet? Or let her rest and see where it goes. We have her inside letting her rest peacefully. Whatever helps thank you ! Appreciate it

Attachments

• 2DA875C4-3F1C-40A4-B282-DB33103375DE.jpeg
    2DA875C4-3F1C-40A4-B282-DB33103375DE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello!

I would soak her in warm water first thing in the morning. Hydration is of prime importance...she can go a long time without food.

I think that the swelling is probably from the wire partly cutting off circulation to her arms and legs. She is probably sore as well. A nice soak will help her feel better, as well as hydrate her.

She is also traumatized by this awful experience, so she may just want to hide out for a period of time, and may not eat for a while. Keep soaking her at least daily.

I would keep a close watch on her arms and legs. If the circulation was cut off for too long, there will be tissue damage. Check her feet and toes daily to make sure there is no discoloration or odor. If that happens, get her to a vet ASAP.

I wouldn't go to the vet unless a problem shows up. The swelling, I think, is to be expected, and hopefully will go down in a few days. Vets, unless they are exotic vets that work a lot with tortoises, often do more damage than good. They give unneeded shots that damage the skin and add to the trauma. Some of the meds they inject are agonizing for the tort.

I would keep her inside, out of the heat, let her rest and hide, and observe her for tissue damage, and soak daily.

We have a member who has dealt with many injuries over the years. I'll tag her, and whatever she recommends, do it.

@Yvonne G

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Karen.

Do you know how this happened? I just can't imagine getting tangle in patio lights and hanging. Patio lights either are in the ground or hanging from the patio ceiling. One wouldn't be able to hang her the other, how in the world did she reach them?
Good luck hope all turns out great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello!

I would soak her in warm water first thing in the morning. Hydration is of prime importance...she can go a long time without food.

I think that the swelling is probably from the wire partly cutting off circulation to her arms and legs. She is probably sore as well. A nice soak will help her feel better, as well as hydrate her.

She is also traumatized by this awful experience, so she may just want to hide out for a period of time, and may not eat for a while. Keep soaking her at least daily.

I would keep a close watch on her arms and legs. If the circulation was cut off for too long, there will be tissue damage. Check her feet and toes daily to make sure there is no discoloration or odor. If that happens, get her to a vet ASAP.

I wouldn't go to the vet unless a problem shows up. The swelling, I think, is to be expected, and hopefully will go down in a few days. Vets, unless they are exotic vets that work a lot with tortoises, often do more damage than good. They give unneeded shots that damage the skin and add to the trauma. Some of the meds they inject are agonizing for the tort.

I would keep her inside, out of the heat, let her rest and hide, and observe her for tissue damage, and soak daily.

We have a member who has dealt with many injuries over the years. I'll tag her, and whatever she recommends, do it.

@Yvonne G
This is very good advice!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Please keep us posted on how she is doing. Prayers for a speedy recovery. ❤️

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis

Elysajrochin, the little guy's Knight in Shining Armor!​

How cool is it that you took the time to research, find this forum then sign up ....to get help for the little guy!

Super Kudo's to you guys!

just a thought....If you are AC'ed, it may be too cold for him..........they do better in the lo-mid 80's so they can digest food. but hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.....

Best of luck,

jeff

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And this is one more reason why I am always harping at people to NOT have tortoises loose in the yard. Something like this, or worse, always happens eventually. Tortoises need to be in safe enclosures that are designed, built and maintained for them. Not loose in shared spaces where people and other pets do their thing.