Need advice ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
Ok so my new burmese brown mnt. tort is coming tom. morning. So. I need these few questions answered fast. 1. How much hudmidy does a 5-6 week old hatchling need? 2. How do i provide him protein? 3. How often do i soak him? 4. How often shoudl i do a full bedding change? 5. How do i keep the humidy high? 5. Would any pellet be benefical. Please help!
This is my first time owning any tortoise but a russian tortoise! any help is appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can help a little. First Congrats, how exciting. Don't forget pics. First thing when you get him, especially if he is being shipped is to soak him in warm water for 20-30 minutes. If you need to keep humidity up, cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure. People that feed rf protein uses worm/bugs, hard boiled egg. Others will chime in with more on that. Soak every day, in warm water for about 20-30 mins. until about a year. The bedding, if spot cleaned often, does to have to be changed for quite a while. I have used coconut coir for a year before I switched for new and that was only because I tried to get rid of the little bugs that you get sometimes in substrates. The rest I will leave for others. Good luck and enjoy.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I can help a little. First Congrats, how exciting. Don't forget pics. First thing when you get him, especially if he is being shipped is to soak him in warm water for 20-30 minutes. If you need to keep humidity up, cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure. People that feed rf protein uses worm/bugs, hard boiled egg. Others will chime in with more on that. Soak every day, in warm water for about 20-30 mins. until about a year. The bedding, if spot cleaned often, does to have to be changed for quite a while. I have used coconut coir for a year before I switched for new and that was only because I tried to get rid of the little bugs that you get sometimes in substrates. The rest I will leave for others. Good luck and enjoy.

Thank you! :) I wont! ;D Ok! :) Thanks so much for the info! def. helped! :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep closing the top on the enclosure is a great way to keep warmth and humidity in.

coco coir mixed with cypress mulch is a great choice. Also the deeper you go the more the moisture will be retained by the substrate. Humidity is key for this species so make sure to have a good 6-8" if not more of substrate. Add water with a pale or jug in the corners to saturate the bottom layer, Not the top layer, can get cold after you place warm water in the substrate and cause problems. You can also add plants, which is a must with these guys, they like to stay covered, and seek shelter alot. Eggs,worms, and slugs are great protein source for them like mentioned.

Keep the enclosure 80-85 constant. No basking spot. if one side is a little cooler thats ok. but 80-88 is about the good range for this species. try to keep it in the middle on the temp though like 85. Congrats post some pics when you get him.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Yep closing the top on the enclosure is a great way to keep warmth and humidity in.

coco coir mixed with cypress mulch is a great choice. Also the deeper you go the more the moisture will be retained by the substrate. Humidity is key for this species so make sure to have a good 6-8" if not more of substrate. Add water with a pale or jug in the corners to saturate the bottom layer, Not the top layer, can get cold after you place warm water in the substrate and cause problems. You can also add plants, which is a must with these guys, they like to stay covered, and seek shelter alot. Eggs,worms, and slugs are great protein source for them like mentioned.

Keep the enclosure 80-85 constant. No basking spot. if one side is a little cooler thats ok. but 80-88 is about the good range for this species. try to keep it in the middle on the temp though like 85. Congrats post some pics when you get him.
Ok thank you! Im going to have to get some more cypress mulch! do you knwo if places like home depot carry it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't seen it at mine. However, call yours they might. Other wise check online also. You might find it cheaper seeing you need quite a bit. Until it arrives, you could just do without it or add more coir until it arrives. I won't take long to get it shipped they would do fine for the few days with what you have.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes they have cypress. The plain no float is the best to buy. Make sure not to get anything with additives or colored mulch. You can also look into a reptifogger they are about 50 bucks and boost humidity very well for smaller-medium enclosures. They work well. Also while your at lowes or home depot they should have the inside house plants on clearance pick up a pothos plant, they are great for shelter and are edible for this species.

Oh yeah forgot about the location thing too. Hopefully they have it at your location. Good reminder wellington:D

If they dont have it. Hardwood mulch works, Orchid bark,and eucalyptis mulch. You should also pick up a pothos plant when your at home deopt or lowes. Provides good hide and its edible for these guys. :D

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I haven't seen it at mine. However, call yours they might. Other wise check online also. You might find it cheaper seeing you need quite a bit. Until it arrives, you could just do without it or add more coir until it arrives. I won't take long to get it shipped they would do fine for the few days with what you have.

Ok! :D I have about 4 inches now :) We just added the heat pad and put the mulch in! :D

tortadise said:
Yes they have cypress. The plain no float is the best to buy. Make sure not to get anything with additives or colored mulch. You can also look into a reptifogger they are about 50 bucks and boost humidity very well for smaller-medium enclosures. They work well. Also while your at lowes or home depot they should have the inside house plants on clearance pick up a pothos plant, they are great for shelter and are edible for this species.

Oh yeah forgot about the location thing too. Hopefully they have it at your location. Good reminder wellington:D

If they dont have it. Hardwood mulch works, Orchid bark,and eucalyptis mulch. You should also pick up a pothos plant when your at home deopt or lowes. Provides good hide and its edible for these guys. :D

Ok awesome! FOr now im misting the mulch and spraying this zilla humidfying spray. For christmas im going to ask for the fogger :) Ill look for that!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Soak it up with warm water and it will be nice and humid. What is zilla humidifying spray? If its a chemical I would have to say sorry might need to change all that mulch. Just water and heat is all you need to do to get humidity up.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Soak it up with warm water and it will be nice and humid. What is zilla humidifying spray? If its a chemical I would have to say sorry might need to change all that mulch. Just water and heat is all you need to do to get humidity up.

Ok awesome. It is aloe vera, vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, emollient and water. I ahve not sprayed this yet.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ohhh wait a minute that stuff is ok. Been a while since I have heard that used, ha.. its just minerals and vitamins. But dont spray it on the tortoise when you get him, those are meant for like lizards and chameleons more or less.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
ohhh wait a minute that stuff is ok. Been a while since I have heard that used, ha.. its just minerals and vitamins. But dont spray it on the tortoise when you get him, those are meant for like lizards and chameleons more or less.

Ok :) So i can just spray it in the substrate? and ok yea my friend uses it for her chameleon :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its really just to keep moisture in on the reptiles skin. Its not like instant humidity like it says on the bottle. It wont really do anything but you can if you want to. Warm water will do what you need.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Its really just to keep moisture in on the reptiles skin. Its not like instant humidity like it says on the bottle. It wont really do anything but you can if you want to. Warm water will do what you need.

ok! ill just do it along with warm water so my mom doenst think im wasting it cause it was expensive for a tiny bottle!

tortadise said:

also how long must the UVB light be on?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
12 hour cycle. Also more substrate easier it is to keep humidity up. For indoors I always out 6-10 inches of substrate and add water. You can turn the substrate as it dries. It will be easier that way

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
12 hour cycle. Also more substrate easier it is to keep humidity up. For indoors I always out 6-10 inches of substrate and add water. You can turn the substrate as it dries. It will be easier that way

ok! :) he seems good right now. :D Thanks for the help! This weekend im getting more mulch!

Status
Not open for further replies.