Need advice! Fed ex is late with shipping

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Okay so I bought my first new Tortoise the other day, I beautiful little baby leopard. And because I will be super busy all next week I called fed ex Thursday and asked the lady on the phone if my Tortoise was shipped out Friday by priority overnight mail will u guarantee it will arrive at the Fed ex location it's being held at for me to pick up Saturday? And she said yes! And behold it's Saturday! And the tracking says my poor baby leopard won't be here TILL MONDAY!!! I immediately called fed ex and a different lady on the phone told me that you must select Saturday shipping and that's why it says Monday. I told her a little rudely that ANOTHER lady ASSURED me that if shipped out Friday by priority overnight it would arrive SATURDAY! and I told her that my Tortoise had better get somewhere in Dallas, TX today whether I had to pay more money or whatever had to happen. She said that someone else would call me within two hours that could do more :(!!! I feel so awful, I should of known not to trust fed ex!
Is there anything more I can do?? Like someone else I can contact? Or something

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I guess this is one of those lessons that must be learned through experience. I only ship Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday just for this reason.

Sorry I don't have any help for you. I don't know if you can change to mode of shipping after the fact. PM one of the members here that ship regularly. Try Tyler at tortoise supply.com or John at Coastal. They might be able to tell you how to "fix" this.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
This almost happened to me, but I called and threw a bit of a fit and wouldn't stop bugging them. I basically kept saying that there was a live animal and it was their fault and made them bring it to me! Good luck!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Did the seller ship it out as "Saturday delivery"? "Priority overnight" shipped on Friday means Monday delivery. If the tort will be spending the weekend in a wearhouse ask FedEx to locate the package and keep it somewhere warmer. You don't want it to be spending the weekend in a cold wearhouse. Where was it shipped from?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I know, I should of just waited :/ I feel awful
I just got off the phone and another lady told me she sent a message to have the Tortoise expedited and put on a plane today for Dallas, TX. That as soon as they find the package they will put it on a plane, and another lady is suppose to call me with in the hour and follow up. I'm going to be vigilant in making sure that Tortoise gets on the plane.

compassrose26 said:
This almost happened to me, but I called and threw a bit of a fit and wouldn't stop bugging them. I basically kept saying that there was a live animal and it was their fault and made them bring it to me! Good luck!

I'm doing that now, bugging them until they get it done. Hopefully I can just get my tort alive and then never ever ship out after Wed. No matter what fed ex says

mikeh said:
Did the seller ship it out as "Saturday delivery"? "Priority overnight" shipped on Friday means Monday delivery. If the tort will be spending the weekend in a wearhouse all you can do is ask FedEx to locate the package and keep it somewhere warmer. You don't want it to be spending the weekend in a cold wearhouse. Where was it shipped from?

Priority overnight because that's what the lady on phone said it'd get here by Saturday doing that. She never said I had to chose Saturday shipping or I would of told the person I bought the tort from that. Or probably just waited.
Its coming all the way from CA to Dallas, TX
Its in Memphis right now :/

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
BrinnANDTorts said:
I know, I should of just waited :/ I feel awful
I just got off the phone and another lady told me she sent a message to have the Tortoise expedited and put on a plane today for Dallas, TX. That as soon as they find the package they will put it on a plane, and another lady is suppose to call me with in the hour and follow up. I'm going to be vigilant in making sure that Tortoise gets on the plane.

compassrose26 said:

I'm doing that now, bugging them until they get it done. Hopefully I can just get my tort alive and then never ever ship out after Wed. No matter what fed ex says

mikeh said:
Did the seller ship it out as "Saturday delivery"? "Priority overnight" shipped on Friday means Monday delivery. If the tort will be spending the weekend in a wearhouse all you can do is ask FedEx to locate the package and keep it somewhere warmer. You don't want it to be spending the weekend in a cold wearhouse. Where was it shipped from?

Priority overnight because that's what the lady on phone said it'd get here by Saturday doing that. She never said I had to chose Saturday shipping or I would of told the person I bought the tort from that. Or probably just waited.
Its coming all the way from CA to Dallas, TX
Its in Memphis right now :/

Hopefully it all works out, I always ship Monday -Wednesday to keep those extra days for FedEx mess ups. Sounds like that lady on the phone was happy it was Friday I'm sure she was just trying to get out of there. Can't trust anyone

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
FedEx is usually really good about putting a tortoise into a warm office, when things like this happen. You just have to be firm, but don't go b**chy on them. Even if worse comes to worse and this animal does not get to youuntil Monday, if he was shipped right, he should be okay. What are the currect temps at Memphis? Does it have any hub stops between there and TX?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Stay on top of Fedex. It looks like its very cold in Memphis. If the tort is left over the weekend in an unheated hanger it may not survive. Hope the seller used a good heat pack and FedEx makes all the effort to deliver today or keep the tort in warm place.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
This was not a Fedex "messup". You need to chose the Saturday delivery option or else it will not be delivered until Monday. There is nothing they can do about that. It will not be delivered today, and certainly not Sunday.

Your seller should have know that. Take the issue up with them, not Fedex. If you pushed for Saturday delivery, and they were not experienced with using the Saturday delivery option or had opposition to it, then I would suggest not considering a Saturday delivery anymore.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Thank all you do much for the advice, I'll be sure to stay very on top on it all. I've been calling every hour. If this lady who has been assigned to help doesn't call by within an hour I will call back again. The other lady I talked to said she was out in lunch and she would make sure that she called me back. I haven't been being a total lil you know whatsy to them because i know that will just make them less inclined to help. I been saying thank you a lot and I told them I'd pay whatever extra it cost to get my tort on a plane to Dallas today and that's I'd come get him at where ever I needed to

EricIvins said:
This was not a Fedex "messup". You need to chose the Saturday delivery option or else it will not be delivered until Monday. There is nothing they can do about that. It will not be delivered today, and certainly not Sunday.

Your seller should have know that. Take the issue up with them, not Fedex. If you pushed for Saturday delivery, and they were not experienced with using the Saturday delivery option or had opposition to it, then I would suggest not considering a Saturday delivery anymore.

No offense who ever you are but I realize all that... If you don't have any advice to offer to help the situation then alright but your just taking up space and having nothing helpful to say. I will take what you said because you are right about everything you said, except that I called before the tort was even shipped and was assured by a fed ex employee and asked to be sure I had the right shipping way and that it'd be there Saturday. Its obvious she did not know what she was talking about. So now all I'm looking for is advice about the situation, not someone telling me who all is to blame and why. I already knew that, thanks

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Lows are forecasted in the upper 20s this weekend here. It is cold!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Omgoodness i hope and pray that babies okay. Poor Baby Tort. Im praying fingers crossed. Baby arrives soon and safe.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:
Lows are forecasted in the upper 20s this weekend here. It is cold!

I know it's such a bad weekend for me to have made this mistake. I been calling every hour and so far the last report was that they were searching for the package in TN. I told them to keep it warm, don't put it on a cold truck to go anywhere. Put it in a warm office or something. Now my question is if they put it into a warm office until Monday will the little Tortoise survive the plane ride Monday from TN to here? I will pick it up Monday once it arrives

I think Monday I will just drive to TN from TX and get the tort myself instead of risk the plane ride if there is even a slight chance he might die. So if they can't manage to put him on a plane today and do put him in a warm office will he be good till I get there Monday?

mikeh

5 Year Member
If the tort is kept warm it should be fine. Who did you buy it from? Given the seller was willing to ship on Friday and also willing to do priority instead of Saturday delivery shows inexperience or lack of care with shipping on sellers end, which raises a concern if the tort was properly packaged. (Air for breathing, heat pack, box insulation etc.)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh man....I am stressing out here for you...I sure hope the little bugger has blessings on his side and those get him to you ready for a warm soak and a relaxing calm warm night....please let us know when you have the baby in hand....prayers and good wishes sent to your baby and you....

And EricIvins can be a bit tart with his opinions at times :)rolleyes:) and from what I have noticed, I don't think the intention is to be an A Hole...but sometimes dolled up is not some folks style...

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
It's going to be fine. There are heat packs in the box, I'm sure. They will probably last into end of today. Even inside of an unheated building will be at least low 50's. That box is an insulated box. I have had the same experience with a Radiated tortoise that accidently got shipped Friday without marked saturday delivery and sat in Memphis till monday and arrived perfectly fine. It was a winter ship so yours will be fine. I was just as freaked out as you are in that I had a lot more riding financially in a Radiated than your Leopard ( not emotion) we are equal on that point. The point being, everything will work out fine.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is no such thing as after the fact advice to make history better. What some have said is FedEx is as responsible as the shipper directs them to be, and so that makes the shipper, not your own call to FedEx or FedEx itself responsible for the delivery issue. The shipping labels are complete with many boxes for how things should be done.

The folks that run the reptile discount shipping services as intermediaries to Fed Ex such as Superior Shipping Supplies, Reptile Express, and Ship Your Reptiles will all offer advice to people who call and ask, I guess they hope you will do business with them.

Right now odds are you will get the tortoise on Monday. Do not shock it by putting it in a a fully warm enclosure, but plan on warming it slowly over several hours, maybe as long as six hours. When the temps get into the 70'sF moisten the substrate for hydration. It may take a day or two for the tortoise to "turn back on" there are lots of processes that get shut down when an animal is chilled. It may be several days after the warmer temps are re-acquired before you see much activity or eating. Hydration at the warmer temps, into the mid 80'sF should be the low after the initial re-warming, but I would also avoid the upper end of temps for several days, don't bake it with the desired 'basking' temps often suggested at about 105 to 110. That is too much to quick out of a chill.

Hopefully the shipper used heat packs and lots of insulation.

Good luck. An once of prevention...

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
The latest update is that it's not in Memphis anymore, I don't know how that is possible because I told them not to put it on a cold truck. They don't know where it is, whether it's on a plane or a truck. They said they have had someone look and they didnt find the package at the Memphis location. So let's hope they put it on a plane, I don't know if it can survive on a cold truck. I told them not to put it on a truck though ugh

I don't know how the package could of left the station without someone scanning it or something. I hope they put it on a plane to TX, they said there is no way of knowing until it's scanned again. I'm going to call at three though and ask for them to look again or something
How can they just not know what happened to it? :(

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Need advice! Fed ex is late with shipping

Will said:
There is no such thing as after the fact advice to make history better. What some have said is FedEx is as responsible as the shipper directs them to be, and so that makes the shipper, not your own call to FedEx or FedEx itself responsible for the delivery issue. The shipping labels are complete with many boxes for how things should be done.

The folks that run the reptile discount shipping services as intermediaries to Fed Ex such as Superior Shipping Supplies, Reptile Express, and Ship Your Reptiles will all offer advice to people who call and ask, I guess they hope you will do business with them.

Right now odds are you will get the tortoise on Monday. Do not shock it by putting it in a a fully warm enclosure, but plan on warming it slowly over several hours, maybe as long as six hours. When the temps get into the 70'sF moisten the substrate for hydration. It may take a day or two for the tortoise to "turn back on" there are lots of processes that get shut down when an animal is chilled. It may be several days after the warmer temps are re-acquired before you see much activity or eating. Hydration at the warmer temps, into the mid 80'sF should be the low after the initial re-warming, but I would also avoid the upper end of temps for several days, don't bake it with the desired 'basking' temps often suggested at about 105 to 110. That is too much to quick out of a chill.

Hopefully the shipper used heat packs and lots of insulation.

Good luck. An once of prevention...

This is the best post on the thread. Really useful information, just in case...

I hope your little guy is okay.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Need advice! Fed ex is late with shipping

[/quote]

This is the best post on the thread. Really useful information, just in case...

I hope your little guy is okay.
[/quote]

I agree, I was rly happy they posted that. I was kinda worried about what to do when I got the lil guy to warm him back up

Great news!!! After bugging and bugging and bugging fed ex, and I'm very thank for them helping me. The lil tort was put on a warm truck from Memphis and is headed to a 24 hour fed ex location in Dallas. Will arrive sometime after midnight where the manager will call me and tell me to come pick him up. I'll be up all night and have to work tomorrow but it's totally worth it!!! I'm sure he will still be alive by the time I get him it's been a lil over 24 hours since he was shipped. I'm so happy he will arrive okay with me. I have his cage all ready for him