Need advice for my YBS who has a broken leg.

MandyK

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi everyone I'm new as a member but regularly read the forum for all the good advice.Our lovely YBS climbed out of her tank, fell to the floor and has fractured her front leg, she was still swimming and walking on it with a limp but it was twisted and slightly swollen. I have taken her to the vet who xrayed her and says will tape the front leg into the shell so it will be protected and advised we dry dock her and not let the bandage get wet, my biggest concern is terrapins/turtles need to be in water for at least an hr a day to eat and poop Can someone please advise how i should go about doing this can the taped leg be put into shallow water? Can we protect that area with waterproof bandages? I'm worried that trying to heal her fracture I might spoil her health, stress her out and she will fall ill not eating and pooping properly. Can someone please advise...Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ask the vet to position the leg correctly then wrap the shell with the leg inside, using that stretchy kind of tape that is ok to get wet.

MandyK

London
Ask the vet to position the leg correctly then wrap the shell with the leg inside, using that stretchy kind of tape that is ok to get wet.
Thank you so much, I shall tell them hopefully they will do that... any advice on how much water should we soak her in or can we submerge her completely couple of times in a day for half an hour and then dry dock under a basking lamp so it all dries out???