Need advice for Russian Tortoise enclosure

zetachi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
We have a 1 1/2 yo Russian Tortoise that we took over about 6 months ago from a relative that could no longer care for it. She is presently living in a 20 gallon tank, which I assume is made for reptiles. Its got a plug for heating the tank and we have a heated rock in it as well. we also have a uv light. We think that she really needs a bigger enclosure. One of our issues is space. We live in an Apt (with 3 cats) so there is not a lot of room for large enclosures. I'm thinking of getting a 40 gallon tank as an upgrade but any advice would surely be welcomed and appreciated as we are not really experts in any shape or form on this subject.

Thanks in advance Doug

glassbird

Seacoast area of New Hampshire, USA
You definitely need a bigger enclosure. I would suggest that you hold off on the 40 gallon tank until you get more input from other people on this forum. In the meantime, look at pics of enclosures and get some ideas. Glass tanks are generally considered highly unsuitable, and they are hard to keep clean...and fragile!

Is your tort really 1 and 1/2 years old...or is that how long your relative had him/her? Most Russians in this country were caught in the wild as adults. The age of the critter is important in knowing the right environment for each animal, so knowing the real age is important.

Hang in there...information is on the way! You might have to get creative to design something that will fit in what little space you have, but get the information that you need first.
0512201150_HDR.jpg

For example, this is a four foot square enclosure in my basement. It is still too small for an adult Russian, but it is only used at night, and on cold or rainy days. Angus has a larger, two level outside enclosure for daytime use. This enclosure is easily pulled apart for cleaning, or moving, and can be enlarged at some point if needed. But I would never use it outside because the walls are only 6 inches high! Angus will eventually figure out a way over them, but so far not. And he wont get far if he does...it's a basement!

zetachi

New York
This is Shelly. She's about 6" long (shell end to end) and 4 /1/2 wide. Would love to make an open enclosure for her but alas she would be cat food as we have three cats in the apt that have free roam :)
0719201024.jpg

glassbird

Seacoast area of New Hampshire, USA
Shelley is not a Russian! You have either a red footed or yellow footed...sorry, I have difficulty telling them apart. Very different from a Russian. Still going to need a MUCH bigger enclosure, but I will have to step back and let forum members experienced with those species step in and help you with his or her housing needs. Good luck!

Denver, Colorado
Hey, Doug!

How many rooms do you have in your apartment? Do you have a balcony?

If you have a balcony, you could possibly build something out there. If not, you could easily order a book shelf on amazon and knock out the shelves. It won't be quite big enough, but it's much better than a 40 gallon. Try to order a four-shelf that you can place near some outlets. It won't take up much space, but you'll need to cover it up with wire to protect your tort from your cats
If you can, I highly suggest a VERY large enclosure in the future.

Good luck!
- Gracey and Noodles

Cozmo88

Rhode Island
You definitely need a bigger enclosure. I would suggest that you hold off on the 40 gallon tank until you get more input from other people on this forum. In the meantime, look at pics of enclosures and get some ideas. Glass tanks are generally considered highly unsuitable, and they are hard to keep clean...and fragile!

Is your tort really 1 and 1/2 years old...or is that how long your relative had him/her? Most Russians in this country were caught in the wild as adults. The age of the critter is important in knowing the right environment for each animal, so knowing the real age is important.

Hang in there...information is on the way! You might have to get creative to design something that will fit in what little space you have, but get the information that you need first.
View attachment 300386

For example, this is a four foot square enclosure in my basement. It is still too small for an adult Russian, but it is only used at night, and on cold or rainy days. Angus has a larger, two level outside enclosure for daytime use. This enclosure is easily pulled apart for cleaning, or moving, and can be enlarged at some point if needed. But I would never use it outside because the walls are only 6 inches high! Angus will eventually figure out a way over them, but so far not. And he wont get far if he does...it's a basement!
Can you post a picture of your outside enclosure? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is Shelly. She's about 6" long (shell end to end) and 4 /1/2 wide. Would love to make an open enclosure for her but alas she would be cat food as we have three cats in the apt that have free roam :)
View attachment 300459
That is a red footed tortoise. Totally different care requirements than a Russian. Different temperatures, different humidity, different diet...

And most cats won't mess with a 6 inch tortoise, but an open topped container won't work for this species anyway. You need a large closed chamber. A 40 gallon tank would be okay for a tiny hatchling for a couple of months, but WAYYY too small for this tortoise.