Need advice from everyone. oxalates..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Shelly said:
LLLReptile said:
the oxalates are LESS than ONE percent of a gram, per 100 grams of food items. 100 grams is very roughly equal to 1/3rd of a cup. You're looking at maybe 1.5 grams of oxalates per cup of greens

Wouldn't that be 0.03 grams per cup?

Depends - something like spinach is .5 grams per 100 grams of greens, where as most greens are much much less. So yes, if they were greens on the low end, it'd be an even tinier amount, but if you are also feeding greens high in the oxalate scale, it'll go upwards.

Based on that snippet though, yes, that is the correct math. :)

-Jen

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
SulcataSquirt said:
here is the stone next to a water bottle cap, its pretty large, I feed normal calcium and every once in a while i will give him the calcium with D3 in it, but normally he gets just the plain calcium. He has a powersun 100 watt MVB and weather is just now getting acceptable to bring him outside so hes been inside for winter.

33cracn.jpg

My tort passed a stone of about the same size as the one in the picture. He was just about a year old at the time. I was soaking him and he started wiggling around and making some high pitched sounds. The commotion scared me. Then I watched as this stone, that seemed huge, came out. It was so big that I checked his cloaca for bleeding.

I did talk with my Vet about this. He felt that it was the result of the tortoise had been kept dry for the first 8 months of his life (before I had care of him) and this was just the expulsion of urates that had been built up. I didn't have the stone for him to examine and really didn't want to pay to have it examined. He hasn't had a stone in over a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.