Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I noticed today one of my Sulcatas thats very solitary and grunoy it seems, nit as active as my other sulcata that he lives with, hes always chilling by his self digged in or sleeping, the ither is always active and moving and aware as the other isn’t buthe seems fine and healthy. He gets active atleast a couple times a day or more but for the most part he’s just very secluded & I noticed today he has this little dent in his lining of his shell idk what it is, I’m pretty sure when I first got him he didn’t have that. I’m worried it could be the start if sheell rot.. I’m a first time owner and I they’re both about 6-8 months old. Check out the pics and let me know.. I soak them atleast 3 or more times a week and feed them regularly with the calcium vitamin d powder and I have a light that for them that does the exact same thing as the sun so they can process the vitamins and stuff right. And ever since I got chuck he has always been to himself, not a people person at all. I got him a few months after I got boots (the really, really active sulcata).

Attachments

• A9FDA693-A0BB-45BE-9DAA-C65BB33B7C77.jpeg
    A9FDA693-A0BB-45BE-9DAA-C65BB33B7C77.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • F7C8774B-7F3B-45E4-AD4F-BFA28B029649.jpeg
    F7C8774B-7F3B-45E4-AD4F-BFA28B029649.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 0E15D3A0-0F60-44DE-820E-95987EB46F9E.jpeg
    0E15D3A0-0F60-44DE-820E-95987EB46F9E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • A608B107-8634-4647-A3E7-17BE5B7BA13F.jpeg
    A608B107-8634-4647-A3E7-17BE5B7BA13F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • DD4A4DB7-971C-42A7-8BA6-19E54845B1CC.jpeg
    DD4A4DB7-971C-42A7-8BA6-19E54845B1CC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

nicoleann2214

NY
I noticed today one of my Sulcatas thats very solitary and grunoy it seems, nit as active as my other sulcata that he lives with, hes always chilling by his self digged in or sleeping, the ither is always active and moving and aware as the other isn’t buthe seems fine and healthy. He gets active atleast a couple times a day or more but for the most part he’s just very secluded & I noticed today he has this little dent in his lining of his shell idk what it is, I’m pretty sure when I first got him he didn’t have that. I’m worried it could be the start if sheell rot.. I’m a first time owner and I they’re both about 6-8 months old. Check out the pics and let me know.. I soak them atleast 3 or more times a week and feed them regularly with the calcium vitamin d powder and I have a light that for them that does the exact same thing as the sun so they can process the vitamins and stuff right. And ever since I got chuck he has always been to himself, not a people person at all. I got him a few months after I got boots (the really, really active sulcata).
Are you housing them together ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should never live as a pair. They need separate enclosures ASAP.

Most of the info you find for this species is wrong. Most breeders are still doing it wrong and telling buyers the wrong stuff. Then the pet stores sell you all the wrong stuff. Here is the right info:

Arizona

Most of the info you find for this species is wrong. Most breeders are still doing it wrong and telling buyers the wrong stuff. Then the pet stores sell you all the wrong stuff. Here is the right info:
Really? ;thank you I thought differently.. they love eachother every night they sleep very close to eachother and when they are both active they definitely gonto one another but the one with the dent is always secluded.. I thought sulcatas can live together.. why not?

Arizona

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really? ;thank you I thought differently.. they love eachother every night they sleep very close to eachother and when they are both active they definitely gonto one another but the one with the dent is always secluded.. I thought sulcatas can live together.. why not?
They don't love each other. One is trying to crowd the other one out of the territory. The secluded one is trying to avoid the dominant one. He'll eventually get sick and die.

They can usually be kept in groups as juveniles, but not pairs. Its too personal. Other torts aren't seen as friends. They are seen as intruders to be driven away. Most of the things that people think are affection are actually aggression. Following = chasing and intimidating. Cuddling = crowding. Sleeping together = trying to crowd one out. Sitting on the food = tying to make sure the other one doesn't get any.

You probably got lots of bad info from the breeder and pet store. Please read that care sheet. Your tortoises will be glad you did.